I think GQ did a good job...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tck13, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Enjoy!

It's amazing how far clothes that fit will take you...

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Enjoy!

It's amazing how far clothes that fit will take you...

I agree. I feel like I see those guys (pre-wardrobe adjustment) on the street every single day. What a difference the proper size makes.

3. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

It also helps that everyone's new outfit is between 1 and 2K. I'm thinking that the 19 year old contracting estimator probably wouldn't buy a $2025 Dolce & Gabbana blazer.

I would have preferred if they found clothes that might realistically be in their budgets. They could have tossed in a few highly-paid guys to tout the pricey stuff.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Not too shabby!

5. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

It also helps that everyone's new outfit is between 1 and 2K. I'm thinking that the 19 year old contracting estimator probably wouldn't buy a $2025 Dolce & Gabbana blazer.

I would have preferred if they found clothes that might realistically be in their budgets. They could have tossed in a few highly-paid guys to tout the pricey stuff.

Agreed, but I honestly think a very similar effect can be had for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price mentioned, if the person had a good eye, and shopped/tailored well to their body.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

+1

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are right. This is one of the better, practical style examples that GQ has done in a long while.

8. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Awesome...hopefully that one day of dress-up will give those guys a drive for sartorialism that will ruin their lives and bankrupt their wallets, just like us. [​IMG]

9. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

would have liked to see them take the before/after shots in the same light/backdrop. The after pictures have improved color balance, depth and activity.

I'm sure the improvements would be there due to fit, but wouldn't be so dramatic. I found myself clicking back just to see if they were the same people.

10. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

would have liked to see them take the before/after shots in the same light/backdrop. The after pictures have improved color balance, depth and activity.

I'm sure the improvements would be there due to fit, but wouldn't be so dramatic. I found myself clicking back just to see if they were the same people.

+1

Proper lighting and a good cameraman (not to mention a ton of Photoshop) can make good look great.

I don't like how GQ blatantly appease their sponsors by putting everyone in expensive clothing. I think they should have done 2 looks, one with the expensive, and one sub $500

11. dopamine

dopamine Senior member

The 22 year-old student's suit was so baggy, I was surprised he wasn't swimming in them. I don't understand how anyone can think that something like that A: looks good and B: fits properly. I normally don't criticize, but that was ridiculous.

I've also wondered what happens to these people: do they just get approached on the street, offered a certain amount of cash, do a photo shoot, and then leave? Seems like they'd go right on dressing how they normally dress. I'd be much more impressed if GQ revamped their entire wardrobe and paid for it, but then that would be more a television show type thing.

12. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

The 22 year-old student's suit was so baggy, I was surprised he wasn't swimming in them. I don't understand how anyone can think that something like that A: looks good and B: fits properly. I normally don't criticize, but that was ridiculous.

I've also wondered what happens to these people: do they just get approached on the street, offered a certain amount of cash, do a photo shoot, and then leave? Seems like they'd go right on dressing how they normally dress. I'd be much more impressed if GQ revamped their entire wardrobe and paid for it, but then that would be more a television show type thing.

Like that show where a sloppy family/person are offered $10,000 to buy designer items. After the show they'd probably go back to their usual crap.

GQ makes us believe expensive clothes are the only ones that fit. But I love their "suits under $500" article they did a while back, they need more of that.

13. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

Agreed, but I honestly think a very similar effect can be had for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price mentioned, if the person had a good eye, and shopped/tailored well to their body.
    Isn't it far easier to save up a thousand dollars (even with a manual labor job) than it is to develop a good eye and the ability to shop well/get things tailored right?

14. Confucius

Confucius Senior member

Helps that the guys all already looked like models and had easy physiques to work with. But regardless, it was a great illustration of how a small change (i.e. fit) can make a world of difference.

15. Kas

Kas Senior member

Exactly, these guys aren't pulled off the street - they're models who were posing in clothing way too big for them in the first pics.

Edit: but the article does get the point across that fitting clothing looks better, so it's a good article.