• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Surrender: need help with sneakers

Scuttlebutt

Reaction score
Well, the search feature has failed me. That big sneaker thread didn't yield much.

Basically I'm looking for a sneaker that I can wear with jeans or shorts. Nothing crazy, but a notch nicer than your typical Adidas. Needs to be conservative enough to wear in front of professors and the like, yet still have enough pop to get noticed.

Right now I have a pair of ugly loafers that need to be replaced. With jeans and shorts I really just wear boatshoes, the loafers, or Sperry sneakers (khaki colored, boring).

I'm thinking something along these lines (but less expensive if possible). Thoughts?

41AaOJzz5VL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Bally-Mens-Fre...146399&sr=1-25

modernrenman

Reaction score
Try posting this in quick questions, the noob thread, or one of the dedicated sneaker threads (baller/non-baller). Even though you didn't find what you were looking for while browsing them (really... in 362 pages of sneakers you didn't find even one pair you liked?), you'll probably get much better responses than you will by starting a new thread.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ask the same question in the sneaker thread.

Since you're budget seems to be quite high think about getting a pair of Common Projects.

Otherwise if you want to go cheap it's good to stick with the classics.

adidas sambas are nice. Converse are putting out some nice conservative non-Chuck models that you shoul go and check out.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Common Projects or GATs. I'm actually trying to find a pair of GATs now.

From my experience, if you spend a moderate amount on a pair of shoes, you will continue to do so until, like me, you are stuck with 18 pairs of sneakers. The pairs I wear most are my CPs and my MMMs. The other 16 pairs are just a waste of ~$1000-$1600.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only buy shoes that cost under $40 or over $200.

If I spend $75 or 80 on a pair of sneakers, they inevitably don't get worn as much as my CP, but I feel bad for the waste. But if I spend $25 I don't care if I only wear them once or twice a month.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scuttlebutt
Needs to be conservative enough to wear in front of professors and the like, yet still have enough pop to get noticed.

First read this to say 'needs to be conservative enough to wear AS a professor" blah blah, saw the picture, and thought you were not far off the path and you just tended to like ugly, expensive sneakers.... but if you're a student, no professor is going to judge you for your footwear. Get a grip.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I only buy shoes that cost under $40 or over $200.

If I spend $75 or 80 on a pair of sneakers, they inevitably don't get worn as much as my CP, but I feel bad for the waste. But if I spend $25 I don't care if I only wear them once or twice a month.

lol i'm the exact opposite: i'll only buy sneaks not over $75. I had a pair of near $300 common projects (i loved them) the gray low perforated ones), but I just was freaked out about messing them up. If I spend something lower than $25 (retail not on sale) something like feiyue then i feel like i'm trying too hard to achieve "its soo cheap its kewl!" look.

to the OP... those gucci sneaks look like nurses shoes.

aguydude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
lol i'm the exact opposite: i'll only buy sneaks not over $75. I had a pair of near $300 common projects (i loved them) the gray low perforated ones), but I just was freaked out about messing them up. If I spend something lower than $25 (retail not on sale) something like feiyue then i feel like i'm trying too hard to achieve "its soo cheap its kewl!" look.

Those are Ballys.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the price and quality, I've had good luck with CNC sneakers...just make sure you get an understated version

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore my cp bballs throughout most of the winter, and in Canada? That means lots of snow and ice
smile.gif
I just don't worry about it.

Also, wear whatever the **** you want in front of your professors oh my god. I'm fairly certain when I went to talk to my prof about doing a thesis with him I was wearing a floor length coat with patent leather shoes and waxed jeans

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I like how this didn't fit into either of the sneaker thread perhaps cool the kid should start a hybrid dress shoe/sneaker thread?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after his recent purchase I don't think he should be allowed to.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i find that expensive sneakers age more gracefully than the 80-120 dollar range sneakers.
ie i wore my margielas in some vineyards on a rainy day and my cousin wore his lacoste sneakers. the creases on the toe looked awkward, his midsole was dirty etc...mmm were wet and when dried the mud chipped right off. gumsoles were a good choice for that day as well!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads