1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I should never have entered Esquire's BDRM contest.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jun 15, 2010.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Too academic-sounding.

How about: Dooky: My Story ?

- B

Maybe "Taking the Pith"?

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Maybe "Taking the Pith"?

Still too academic. Maybe I'll do a Michener: Dung .

- B

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any information on Old World Gabardine in this thread?

4. voxsartoria

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

5. ohm

ohm Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. EnglishLapel

EnglishLapel Senior member

Would you be so kind as to post the 150 meg version of this photograph in this thread?

Thank you.

- B

An "oops" if you will?

7. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Still too academic. Maybe I'll do a Michener: Dung .

- B

is this a poop post?

8. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I want an MP. I'll never get one, but I want one. Of course, the problem is that there are very few 35mm film scanners available these days and they're not that great. The best models went out of production a few years ago and/or cost a fortune.

It can also be very difficult to get film processed properly as well. We are down to one decent lab in Atlanta but in NYC this is probably less of an issue.

I also dream of a Leica M series one day.

9. voxsartoria

is this a poop post?

[​IMG]

- B

10. voxsartoria

It can also be very difficult to get film processed properly as well. We are down to one decent lab in Atlanta but in NYC this is probably less of an issue.

I also dream of a Leica M series one day.

This page was going very well.

Then AF posted.

- B

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

This page was going very well.

Then AF posted.

- B

How would you like a nice, hot steaming cup of STFU?

[​IMG]

12. voxsartoria

How would you like a nice, hot steaming cup of STFU?

[​IMG]

It's my morning beverage of choice, so thank you.

- B

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Suuurre it was [x2]
    Thank you for reminding me why I don't like talking to most people on this forum either.
    Epson makes a scanner that will handle 35mm negs with no problem, and can give you files up to something like 150 megs. See my avatar for an example (of a scanned pic, not a 150 meg pic). It costs something like $300. I realize that's sort of contrary to the "everything new sucks" viewpoint that leads one to dress like an old man and call sweaters "jumpers," but it's true.
    I think you're talking about the V700 or V750. Those are the best Epson offers right now, but they are not dedicated film scanners (rather, flatbeds that come with film strip holders). I'm sure the scans look perfectly decent, but if I were to ever invest thousands and thousands of dollars in Leica equipment, I would not want to funnel neck image quality at the scanner. Nothing beats a dedicated 35mm scanner. Nikon's 5000ED, discontinued, is still one of the best prosumer 35mm scanners ever made. Like I said, "jumpers" is not what I say in real-life and I don't think I've ever used the word before on the forums either. Of course, rather than accept that it was a fluke here, you'd rather fly in the face of all reason and believe I was being ostentatious, even as I openly admitted I don't actually say "jumpers." I'm sure you'll relish it the next time I type "grey" instead of "gray."
    Old World Gabardine brings out the best and the worst in people. Speak of it at your own peril.
    True words. That's why I'd want a good scanner--it would give me complete, autonomous control over B&W processing. You'll always be able to get the chemicals to develop B&W film at home. It's getting a proper scan of the negatives that's the trick.

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I'm not going to comment on the substance of your post, which is entirely subjective. However, I would like to note that I will never be able to approve of trini's outfits until he fixes his mother f-ing askew ties. For some reason it drives me absolutely crazy, probably because I know he's doing it on purpose.

LOL. You overestimate my attempts at affectedness. I strive for them to be straight but they just get messed up throughout the day.

Promise.

15. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vox's ties are perfectly centered and dimpled but he is really an ideal that is out of reach for most people.

16. EnglishLapel

Saying jumpers isn't ostentatious or old-man ish, it's just English English. In England people use plenty of American terminology but aren't considered "ostentatious.

17. voxsartoria

Vox's ties are perfectly centered and dimpled but he is really an ideal that is out of reach for most people.

I tie them while spinning in a centrifuge so that the laws of physics work on my behalf.

You are quite right, however: this is not really feasible for most.

- B

18. voxsartoria

Saying jumpers isn't ostentatious or old-man ish, it's just English English. In England people use plenty of American terminology but aren't considered "ostentatious.

Did you actually read the original post?

[​IMG]

Lawd above! Ever since I was a finalist an' appeared on da Today show, I gok wan't escape discussin' me clothes wiv acquaintances an' blods now chicken pie me up an' down every bird lime I see 'em. Even worse, they always butcher's 'ook disappoin'ed an' skeptical. I wawer a blue OCBD under a navy cashmere v-neck jumper an' grey callard an' bousers wiv longwings ter a 'oliday party; an acquaintance approached me wiv a discomdodulated butcher's 'ook on 'is face, then stated: "You aren't very well dressed today." Mates keep track ov what I wear an' say things like "Isn't what da same crisp packet you wawer last week?" an' "Oh, I 'eard wingtips was aaaht ov style" an' "That's so 80's!" Of caaahrse, they also ask fer advice, which I popperoo not ter give. But then push comes ter shove, an' I make a recommendashun. At least a dozen male blods 'ave asked me what kind ov shirts I like ter wear casually. When I tell 'em I like Brooks Bruvvers OCBDs (and explain what those are), they grimace an' poin' aaaht in a pityin' tone what they've already upgraded ter Pink awer Tyrwhitt. I'm bob an' dick ov explainin' what me "hankie" is fer an' why i' doesn't match me tie. Everyone 'as asked me at least once where ter bought a "cool pinstriped blazer" ter wear wiv jeans. A bee's knees blod introduced me ter 'is girlblod fer da first bird lime an' poin'ed aaaht proudly what I was one ov da "best-dressed blokes in America." She laughed an' blurted aaaht "But you dress like a dad!" Somewhat sheepishly comin' ter me defense, 'e explains what I dress "very unique." Every chicken pie asks me fer what I think abaaaht their clothes, but in a disingenuous, braggin' manner, as if ter make sure I know I didn't deserve ter be a finalist because 'is crisp packet is Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL. I always politely say "Very nice. I like it." They follow-up wiv: "Do you know where I got it?" "Huh, I dunno." "It's a Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL." "Oh, cool. Fast food stuff." "What designer is yours?" "Oh, I 'ad a tailor make it." "Oh . . . Well, chickens neck aaaht Kiton/Brioni/Zegna/Armani/RLBL. I got a charlotte blod who works at Bergdorf/Saks/Bloomingdales who says it's da absolute best." And da gucci. Oh god. People butcher's 'ook at me gucci like I'm a 'omeless person wiv one 'undred an' thirty cardboard strapped under me pates ov meat . No, they're not Gucci awer Ferragamo. Yes, I know I gok wan get 'em fer what I paid fer deese. Jabba da Hutt up, shut up, shut up.

Suddenly everyone's a critic an' a fashion editor. It's not me self-esteem awer confidence at stake, but me sanity. I don't like charlie chalkin' ter people anymawer because they gok wan only seem ter charlie chalk abaaaht what I'm wearing. Let dis be a lesson ter uvvers., innit.

- B

19. EnglishLapel

Did you actually read the original post?

[​IMG]

- B

Vox how long did that take you! Besides you didn't find a way to intergrate jellied eeles or other cockney (which barely exist anymore) delights. So, in true Divalo style you will recieve a B for effort. Instead of my English A* as opposed to A plus

20. voxsartoria

Ofcourse! It was bloody entertaining! However I just felt like putting in my two pennies. And pointing out that Americanisms in England don't seem to be met with the same reaction as British Englishisms in America.

I think that we react okay to at least some vernacular Englishisms of the common people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- B