• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Sh*t You Not

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
_
copied and pasted from

TimesOnline.co.uk
From The Sunday Times

October 19, 2008

Blow to image of "green" reusable nappy​

Marie Woolf, Whitehall Editor

A government report that found old-fashioned reusable nappies damage the environment more than disposables has been hushed up because ministers are embarrassed by its findings.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has instructed civil servants not to publicise the conclusions of the £50,000 nappy research project and to adopt a "defensive" stance towards its conclusions.

The report found that using washable nappies, hailed by councils throughout Britain as a key way of saving the planet, have a higher carbon footprint than their disposable equivalents unless parents adopt an extreme approach to laundering them.

To reduce the impact of cloth nappies on climate change parents would have to hang wet nappies out to dry all year round, keep them for years for use on younger children, and make sure the water in their washing machines does not exceed 60C.

The conclusions will upset proponents of real nappies who have claimed they can help save the planet.

Restricted Whitehall documents, seen by The Sunday Times, show that the government is so concerned by the "negative laundry options" outlined in the report, it has told its media managers not to give its conclusions any publicity.

The report found that while disposable nappies used over 2½ years would have a global warming , impact of 550kg of CO2 reusable nappies produced 570kg of CO2 on average. But if parents used tumble dryers and washed the reusable nappies at 90C, the impact could spiral to . 993kg of CO2 A Defra spokesman said the government was shelving plans for future research on nappies.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4969413.ece

___

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered about stuff like this.

For example, there is this Green-Nazi at work who constantly suggested I stop using the paper coffee cups, and bring my own mug.

Now, I bought a $6 ceramic coffee mug, obviously someone had to make it. Every day I wash it with a bit of soap and hot water, and afterwards I dry it out with a full paper towel.

Now, you might say I am still helping the environment, but by what margin? Probably not much. And unless you know for sure, the soap going into the drain and the paper towel in the trash might just be worse.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no matter what the fine details of the argument- reduce/reuse wherever possible is still the wisest course of action.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tell the baby to poop less? A brilliant idea!
devil.gif

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

For example, there is this Green-Nazi at work who constantly suggested I stop using the paper coffee cups, and bring my own mug.

Now, I bought a $6 ceramic coffee mug, obviously someone had to make it. Every day I wash it with a bit of soap and hot water, and afterwards I dry it out with a full paper towel.

Now, you might say I am still helping the environment, but by what margin? Probably not much. And unless you know for sure, the soap going into the drain and the paper towel in the trash might just be worse.

My coffee mug at work was free from a vendor. This makes it truly green I think, since I didn't pay for it. I'm pretty that qualifies under "reduce" (of the 3 Rs: reduce, reuse, recycle) since I reduced the price paid. I suggest you do the same.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to google nappy to find out what they were.
Are reusable diapers still common in England? I don't think they are used much in the US.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
_

To reduce the impact of cloth nappies on climate change parents would have to hang wet nappies out to dry all year round, keep them for years for use on younger children, and make sure the water in their washing machines does not exceed 60C.

But that's exactly what we did do, and precisely the instructions which came with the washable nappies we used!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
My coffee mug at work was free from a vendor. This makes it truly green I think, since I didn't pay for it. I'm pretty that qualifies under "reduce" (of the 3 Rs: reduce, reuse, recycle) since I reduced the price paid. I suggest you do the same.

No way I'm using a free Made in China mug. sorry.

Qubaduck

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, the point of cotton nappies isn't neccisarialy the energy savings, but that fact that they firstly save millions apon millions of disposable diapers from landfills, and secondly cost a damn sight less than disposables from parents.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

You wash it every day? I prefer to let mine develop a fine patina. Promotes biodiversity both on the mug and on the planet as a whole.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You wash it every day? I prefer to let mine develop a fine patina. Promotes biodiversity both on the mug and on the planet as a whole.

Probably promotes a good strong immune system too. The US is too clean I think.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. washing utensils is a waste of water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads