I rented Top Hat and North by Northwest today !

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lakewolf, Sep 13, 2006.

1. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

wow...

Fred Astaire at his best and Cary Grant...

Why americans don't dress like this anymore? ( well I know why, but you should do it again )

The ellegance of white tie and the impecable suits are amazing....

here in Europe the people still dress with ellegance... but the american casual influence is invading everywhere....

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I saw the Criterion version of Charade over the weekend on DVD and also enjoyed Cary's and others dress in that film.

3. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

I love old movies. I love the witty nature and dialogue of them, but also the style of dress. The men all look dashing, a la Cary Grant, and the women beautiful, a la Audrey Hepburn.

4. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I have to check out Top Hat. North by Northwest, of course, is great. I also really enjoyed James Mason in that film.

5. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Check out The Maltese Falcon aswell. Great fashion from Bogie and Greenstreet.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

I saw Top Hat recently. The clothes, especially on Fred Astaire, are amazing! I really like his DB dinner jacket. Are they all A&S bespoke?

--Andre

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Old movies, are the best. If you get a chance, watch MILDRED PIERCE. Joan Crawford won an Oscar, as the long suffering mother of an evil daughter who gets it on with her wicked husband, played to hissing exactness, by Zachary Scott. Mr. Scott is my idea of the most elegant man, ever onscreen.
    [​IMG]

Another great film, for clothes: PILLOW TALK, with Doris Day and Rock Hudson. Ms. Day wears the most beautiful wardrobe I've ever seen an actress wear, in the movies.

Check out Butterfield 8. Very, stylish film. Truly perverse, as well. Laurence Harvey shows clothes to the hilt . . . and back then, Liz had only one, extra chin.

8. Gladhatter

Gladhatter Senior member

wow...

Fred Astaire at his best and Cary Grant...

Why americans don't dress like this anymore? ( well I know why, but you should do it again )

The ellegance of white tie and the impecable suits are amazing....

here in Europe the people still dress with ellegance... but the american casual influence is invading everywhere....

Casual influence is exterminating America. Such or similar has extermintated all other super powers before us. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing is all.

We no longer are born or raised to know why to dress or why to wear a hat and the whole thing has got so skewed. At one time in America a hat was for protection from the elements and then you tried to build in some style and durability and above all you built in comfort.

Today the few hat companies that actually make commercial level hats build in cheapness and hope to see more hats for less and make more money. They did not factor in that doing so will disallow people to enjoy the uncomfortable hats and thus destroy hat wearing.

Once you remove the hat you are on a slippery slide toward a casual out look.

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

Casual influence is exterminating America. Such or similar has extermintated all other super powers before us. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing is all.

Are you saying the collapse of the British Empire is inextricably linked to the adoption of the lounge suit in the early 20th century, the precise clothing era being lauded on this thread?

10. LARon

LARon Senior member

We no longer are born or raised to know why to dress or why to wear a hat and the whole thing has got so skewed.

Which is exactly why it is incumbent on Forum members to preserve male elegance in dress and manner.

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

North by Northwest is one of my favorite movies, the music, the scenery, and Eva Marie Saint is my ideal woman.

12. Gladhatter

Gladhatter Senior member

Are you saying the collapse of the British Empire is inextricably linked to the adoption of the lounge suit in the early 20th century, the precise clothing era being lauded on this thread?
    No I never say things using words that are so far out of my range of what they mean that I cannot fake it. I also generally reserve opinions of the British for someone that knows something about them more than the idea that they like to drink tea.