• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I recall a thread about this,

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the greatest amount that the chest of a jacket can be taken in?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the greatest amount that the chest of a jacket can be taken in?
I seem to remember someone stating that the absolute most -- in the best case -- you could take in a jacket was four inches. That sounds a bit much to me so it might have been two inches.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(hopkins_student @ Feb. 20 2005,23:24) What is the greatest amount that the chest of a jacket can be taken in?
I seem to remember someone stating that the absolute most -- in the best case -- you could take in a jacket was four inches. That sounds a bit much to me so it might have been two inches.
I have had 38's turned into 36's, but I don't think any more than that is possible, and even then it's not really advisable. Jon.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon,

Are you saying that you had a bad experience with this, or that more than 2 inches would have resulted in a bad experience? What are/were the problems with that? I'm thinking about doing this with something a bit bigger, eg. 46-->44.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
I think two sizes down is about max from what my tailor stated.It's the shoulders that can throw the suit off if they're say 20" wide,and you have a 42" chest.That aircraft carrier shoulder look is an 80's thing that's long since passed.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that's the thing, I have huge shoulders, so the shoulders won't need anything done to them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.