1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I recall a thread about this,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Feb 21, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

What is the greatest amount that the chest of a jacket can be taken in?

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

I seem to remember someone stating that the absolute most -- in the best case -- you could take in a jacket was four inches. That sounds a bit much to me so it might have been two inches.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

(hopkins_student @ Feb. 20 2005,23:24) What is the greatest amount that the chest of a jacket can be taken in?
    I seem to remember someone stating that the absolute most -- in the best case -- you could take in a jacket was four inches. That sounds a bit much to me so it might have been two inches.
    I have had 38's turned into 36's, but I don't think any more than that is possible, and even then it's not really advisable. Jon.

4. hopkins_student

Jon,

Are you saying that you had a bad experience with this, or that more than 2 inches would have resulted in a bad experience? What are/were the problems with that? I'm thinking about doing this with something a bit bigger, eg. 46-->44.

5. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior Member

I think two sizes down is about max from what my tailor stated.It's the shoulders that can throw the suit off if they're say 20" wide,and you have a 42" chest.That aircraft carrier shoulder look is an 80's thing that's long since passed.

6. hopkins_student

Well, that's the thing, I have huge shoulders, so the shoulders won't need anything done to them.