• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I really need some help with new wardrobe - really struggling

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Here are outfits with each pair of shoes. Forgive the shirt for the moment - only one I have, will be getting a better one.

Bm8wKAM.png

BKFlvTM.png
I actually think both of these work pretty well overall. I still tend to think a little tailoring of the blazer sleeves to make them a bit shorter and a bit shorter (little to no break) on the jeans will help.

You could even put the blazer over the sweater on colder days.

You are getting there! Keep chugging along!

Tramlines

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

You're miles ahead of where you started from :)

The chukka boat in the grained leather looks okay - it kind of fits with those modern expectations of a man's shoe/boot with a standard rounded toe, which is absolutely okay. Just nothing more.

The dark chestnut pair on the left is more interesting with the contrasting black laces although looks like it's just glued on, it has a great texture. They both look fine with our jeans - more of a 'dress down' look when seen together with the jeans, rather than too dressed up for the jeans alone. Either are miles better than the flap shoes you were originally wearing. There I've said it! I really hated those awwwful moccasin flap hides you were wearing and it's okay to say so now because you've got two decent pairs of shoes now :)

The belt is neither here nor there - kind of mid-light tone which is harder to blend in with dark jeans. Your jacket looks fine, although I personally tend to refrain from wearing mandarin collars with structured jackets. It looks like "suddenly nothing is happening" when you scan up the buttoned jacket with a mandarin collar. If you wanted to persist, maybe try unbuttoning a second button to wear it with the blazer. Or go back to wearing an open collar shirt perhaps...

Hi. Ok I bought 2 pairs of shoes today and a belt. Here is a photo of them all with the jeans I propose to be wearing. Haven't got time right now to post the whole outfit. Please can I have your views?

y6p2mtQ.png

Dan1980

Reaction score
i tried to get a belt which matched the shade of shoes, rather than a darker brown belt. should i have gone for darker brown?

Tramlines

Reaction score
i tried to get a belt which matched the shade of shoes, rather than a darker brown belt. should i have gone for darker brown?

Personally I do - if only to keep everything low key, so that the one item (like a white shirt) stands out more. I probably would have recommended something more slender or narrow than the huge chunky belts (strike me as a bit uncouth!).

It's fine though. You will probably need about 5 belts anyway to mix and pick. Generally though, if you're uncertain about colour matching, going for darker and plain (decent quality) helps work it into other items in your wardrobe. I'm not sure how wide lighter belts work well - in my view, they draw too much attention away from dark jeans towards the waist line, something you're trying to avoid.

A curious question here - but I want to ask anyway! What did your wardrobe look like 5 years ago? :)

Dan1980

Reaction score
im out tonight at pub and a little self consious in these tan boots. everyone else has either black or very dark brown or , completely the other way, trainers, on.

i also feel they make my feet look big.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
im out tonight at pub and a little self consious in these tan boots. everyone else has either black or very dark brown or , completely the other way, trainers, on.

i also feel they make my feet look big.
At night time dark colors tend to be better, but for a pub, I wouldn’t worry. As you said, many just have trainers on. It’s a casual setting. Many men are self conscious about their feet being too small, so I would not worry about big looking feet. Checking out what everyone else is wearing is a first step in being a stylish man. Eventually you will get to the point where you are the best dressed in the room and won’t mind standing out. Keep the faith Dan. You can do this.

Tramlines

Reaction score
Stop looking at your mobile phone and your boots at the same time lol

I think they look fine, and they're not tan - they're darker than milk chocolate in the images.

Mens shoes + slim fit jeans are designed to make feet look like spade hammers. It's the new normal.

When you get back, maybe try black shoe polish and see if you like the darker tone better - it's reversible of course.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the help but perhaps need more specific advice.

At night, wear darker colours. Dark brown or black shoes or boots, dark brown leather jacket, white shirt for contrast.

You're young and feel uncomfortable in blazers, which is fine, so you absolutely need a thinner leather jacket, dark brown or black, though probably dark brown if you have a typically English complexion.

Dan1980

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas.

ive just ordered a white and a navy oxford shirt, and will pick up a darker brown belt too.

i think after that id like to consider a bit more colour somehow. i know pink will be popular but its gonna take some convincing lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics