• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I really need some help with new wardrobe - really struggling

Chouan

Reaction score
You may be pressed for time to buy new shoes for tonight, but this place appears to have a selection of reasonable shoes https://www.bluntsshoes.com/mensshoes/
They stock Loake, Grenson and Barker there, so you should be able to find something good.
There's always Ebay as well.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
so no good with the blazer and white shirt?
I would have to see it all together. I would not call that blazer supercasual, it’s not formal either. When you get the shoes if you want to post a picture of them together it might be easier but my first inclination would be probably not. Things are so hard to see though when they are separate, so I will reserve judgment.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
36974B64-812F-4B3D-9403-DBD82496258F.jpeg
57486526-C0B4-4279-A1D4-91DFC2A07C49.jpeg
7B806788-A44D-46A3-B56C-11DF90A0687B.jpeg
81A09E0E-BF7F-4B90-9E33-468DC6D45BCC.jpeg
7ABF648B-729A-4A72-8F4B-71A5A28F5BE8.jpeg
80C59367-59B4-4AE4-AE16-53A7614E2EAC.jpeg
I would have to see it all together. I would not call that blazer supercasual, it’s not formal either. When you get the shoes if you want to post a picture of them together it might be easier but my first inclination would be probably not. Things are so hard to see though when they are separate, so I will reserve judgment.
Here’s some more ideas. I stole these all from Bonobo’s ads.

Dan1980

Reaction score
ok but my problem is i have to travel to the shops to buy the shoes and i cant keep taking things back all the time. i was advised to buy some tan chucka boots isnt that what ive got?

i do apprecuate the help but perhaps need more specific advice.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
91E8AE19-61A8-4867-8597-D0C50F438526.jpeg
A10C257B-1F58-4E10-9219-24CDAB8A5561.png
ok but my problem is i have to travel to the shops to buy the shoes and i cant keep taking things back all the time. i was advised to buy some tan chucka boots isnt that what ive got?

i do apprecuate the help but perhaps need more specific advice.
Understood. This style stuff is frustrating if you’re not used to it. Have you ever heard the expression beauty is pain? That’s basically what looking nice all the time is, Pain. However, after a while you start to enjoy the pain kind of like when you go to the gym. Right now you’re going through “Boot Camp” no pun intended. The hardest part is getting in shape.

That being said, If you want to wear it with the blazer and other blazers that are not supercasual I would probably go with something more like this. Can you see the difference?

Reactions: RJG

Dan1980

Reaction score
yes but those look way too posh to wear with blue jeans to me.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
8E74F1B7-5882-429D-AAB4-C72F8EA0070E.jpeg
86754FF4-52BB-4CDF-8DC3-285CBDBC74DB.png
5355EE09-554D-434E-8F86-9DEC54057E60.png
yes but those look way too posh to wear with blue jeans to me.
With some jeans, you are correct. With slim fitting, dark wash jeans and a blazer they go great, just make sure they have little to no break. You can find something that’s in the middle that would still work. Here is an example of something not quite as dressy but still a little bit more so than what you purchased.

I’m sure some of these other British guys can help you out with some good Chuckka boot recommendations, I think there are a few in the thread. If they are more than you are looking to spend just try to find something cheaper with a similar look.

As I had said previously, I like Chelsea boots a little more than Chukkas. But that’s just me. A nice lace up boot would work as well. I have added a couple examples as well. These are more of a chocolate color, which I think works well as a more versatile than tan, but once again just my opinion and depends on how many pairs of shoes you plan on buying.

pacnyc

Reaction score
Well, I wasn’t going to add any more because I think too much advice, however smart and well intended, can just paralyze a person, and you seem already to be on the right track just by showing real interest in getting things right—more than one can say for a lot of guys nowadays. Just go for it. I think the anxiety you express is what I see a lot of guys go though at first—what seems to you like dressing up is really just dressing presentably. Once you discover how good you feel when you put yourself together like a self-respecting adult, you’ll naturally get more and more confidence about this stuff.

The chukkas are fine. I’d have suggested leather soles (nicest), or possibly lug/Dainite, or anyway a dark color if they’re rubber. And brown leather uppers. But don’t sweat it. It’s not like they’re the last shoes you’re ever going to buy. Anything other than athletic shoes or ugly plastic PayLess shoes puts you ahead of many guys out there.

Don’t be afraid to wear nice shoes with jeans, by the way. They can look terrific. (Lately, tan brogues with jeans are all the rage in New York.)

Dan1980

Reaction score
Hi. Ok I bought 2 pairs of shoes today and a belt. Here is a photo of them all with the jeans I propose to be wearing. Haven't got time right now to post the whole outfit. Please can I have your views?

y6p2mtQ.png

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Hi. Ok I bought 2 pairs of shoes today and a belt. Here is a photo of them all with the jeans I propose to be wearing. Haven't got time right now to post the whole outfit. Please can I have your views?

y6p2mtQ.png
If the ones in tan are the ones you posted in the link they actually do look a bit better than I thought. I would try giving them a good shine. However, the sole adds to the formal/informality of the shoe, so still not sure wither the jacket. The chocolate brown shoes are a step in the right direction. Not sure I have ever seen the pattern on them though. I would be interested in others thoughts.

Dan1980

Reaction score
they arent chocolate brown in the right light, more just standard leather brown.

Dan1980

Reaction score
Here are outfits with each pair of shoes. Forgive the shirt for the moment - only one I have, will be getting a better one.

Bm8wKAM.png

BKFlvTM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads