• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I really need some help with new wardrobe - really struggling

Dan1980

Reaction score
If I go someplace classy, I’ll wear a blazer/sport coat. If I go to a regular pub or bar, then a leather jacket.

Classy does not describe any place i am likely to visit. It certainly does not describe the bars I was in Friday night.

BudFox92

Reaction score
You sound like Cal from Crazy, Stupid, Love

Perhaps watching that film will bring you to life

Chouan

Reaction score

Dan1980

Reaction score
are you joking? compare cambridgeshire to dudley west midlands and see what the difference is.

Chouan

Reaction score
I must admit to never having visited Dudley, but although I live in Cambs, and so visit Cambridgeshire pubs, I am from County Durham, and I would and do dress the same way in a pub in Middlesbrough, or Redcar, or Hartlepool, or anywhere else!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you joking? compare cambridgeshire to dudley west midlands and see what the difference is.

Dudley! Oh what a small world! What say we stop in the Portway in Kingswinford for a pint of Banks's, my favourite tipple. And definitely no blazers for the Black Country! Oh my, I'm getting nostalgic. :cheers:

jaxenro

Reaction score
How bad can any part of England be. I just lived for two years in WV where it was common to see a deer or even a bear strapped to the hood of a car at the supermarket as the hunter was showing it off, the convenience store sold ammo (ok that one was convenient), the favorite color is camo, most of the older men didn’t trust that indoor plumbing thing, and quite a few neighbors didn’t stop in for a beer but drank moonshine out of old canning jars or milk jugs.

And to be completely truthful my neighbor was called Bubba, his brother was Cracker, and the guy that drove the ambulance father was also his grandfather. I am a bit of a redneck st heart but two years was all we could take

Last edited:

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
Hi guys. Yeah a couple things to report.

First the blazer. I wore it the other night and felt very overdressed compared to everyone else. I just dont know if there will be many situations I find myself in that will require that kind of formality. It is completely at odds with what everyone else is wearing, ripped jeans and a shirt or even a t shirt basically.

The shoes I am happy with. I have also bought some dark brown chelsea boots and a darker belt.

The oxford shirts i have an issue with. Because they are a thicker material they seem not to fit well on me. They stick out in some places / dont hang right. They dont tuck in my jeans well and dont sit right under a jumper.

Thats it for now. Overall I woud say partial success at the moment but need some less formal but still nice looking items.
Dan,

I know nothing of any of the towns you guys are talking about. However, here are my own guidelines which I think are fairly universal:

1) I always try to be the best dressed person in the room, without being overdressed

2) However, it’s always better to be overdressed than underdressed

3) Most guys don’t know about or care what you’re wearing, so don’t dress for them

4) Even as a well dressed person, less people (especially men) are looking at you then you think

5) Fit is more important than what your wearing in most cases (you can look better in jeans and an Oxford than a man in an ill fitting suit)

P.S. Glad you got some Chelsea boots and a darker belt. Oxford shirts under jumpers are an art - but you will get used to the material.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) I always try to be the best dressed person in the room, without being overdressed

Yeah, I think it it would help the OP to focus on the basics — learning what fits well — without stressing over formality or confusing being well-dressed with ‘dressing up’. (You can still be dressed up, but look awful — or be wearing the right jeans, boots and T-shirt, and look better than everyone else).

I pretty much wear blazers everywhere now (super-casual blazers), but seldom get asked by strangers why I’m dressed up anymore. There was definitely a learning curve.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I pretty much wear blazers everywhere now (super-casual blazers), but seldom get asked by strangers why I’m dressed up anymore. There was definitely a learning curve.

I have found most people are too busy with their own lives to worry about mine. I almost never leave the house without a blazer or sports coat either I would feel undressed

Dan1980

Reaction score
Dan, you alive and well (dressed)?

Hi, yeah still here lol.

Not been out for a few weeks so no more new stuff yet. However I am out tomorrow night with friends, to a casual pub, so thinking of buying a new item I can wear for it.

I have the dark brown chelsea boots, dark blue jeans and white shirt, so really i need something to go over the shirt (not a blazer this time). any ideas?

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
68342D9F-9101-47E0-99BC-63B2D900CBA0.jpeg
B9C071B4-3950-4510-ACE6-727EF0E38D88.jpeg
5EE7CFF7-5FEF-4422-BED4-D14C23EAF3B0.jpeg
Hi, yeah still here lol.

Not been out for a few weeks so no more new stuff yet. However I am out tomorrow night with friends, to a casual pub, so thinking of buying a new item I can wear for it.

I have the dark brown chelsea boots, dark blue jeans and white shirt, so really i need something to go over the shirt (not a blazer this time). any ideas?
I guess that depends on the temperature where you are right now. A jumper, a cardigan or a light informal jacket could work. Or both if it’s really cold.

See pictures above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads