• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I really need some help with new wardrobe - really struggling

Chouan

Reaction score
Dan

Barbour Jackets are terrific, the bedale is a classic, they go with pretty much anything, are well made and will last years. I might be slightly biased like, my wife designs for them. If you hunt about you can sometimes pick up bargains or if you are ever in the north east they have a factory outlet shop in south shields thats pretty great price wise.
But that would mean travelling to County Durham!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dan

Barbour Jackets are terrific, the bedale is a classic, they go with pretty much anything, are well made and will last years. I might be slightly biased like, my wife designs for them. If you hunt about you can sometimes pick up bargains or if you are ever in the north east they have a factory outlet shop in south shields thats pretty great price wise.

I'm envious.

Chouan

Reaction score
Great place.
In parts, perhaps. I must admit that I find the names used by Barbour for their range of shoes amusing, Readhead (perhaps should be Tynedock), Penshaw (Pensher), Tynemouth, Palmer, Howden, Wallsend. The only anomaly being Redcar. They should include Chichester, Ocean Road, Westoe, The Lawe, Arbeia and Winterbottom.

Dan1980

Reaction score
Any status updates Dan? :cool2:

Hi guys. Yeah a couple things to report.

First the blazer. I wore it the other night and felt very overdressed compared to everyone else. I just dont know if there will be many situations I find myself in that will require that kind of formality. It is completely at odds with what everyone else is wearing, ripped jeans and a shirt or even a t shirt basically.

The shoes I am happy with. I have also bought some dark brown chelsea boots and a darker belt.

The oxford shirts i have an issue with. Because they are a thicker material they seem not to fit well on me. They stick out in some places / dont hang right. They dont tuck in my jeans well and dont sit right under a jumper.

Thats it for now. Overall I woud say partial success at the moment but need some less formal but still nice looking items.

Chouan

Reaction score
Hi guys. Yeah a couple things to report.

First the blazer. I wore it the other night and felt very overdressed compared to everyone else. I just dont know if there will be many situations I find myself in that will require that kind of formality. It is completely at odds with what everyone else is wearing, ripped jeans and a shirt or even a t shirt basically.

The shoes I am happy with. I have also bought some dark brown chelsea boots and a darker belt.

The oxford shirts i have an issue with. Because they are a thicker material they seem not to fit well on me. They stick out in some places / dont hang right. They dont tuck in my jeans well and dont sit right under a jumper.

Thats it for now. Overal I woud say partial succes at the moment but need some less fornal but still nice looking itens.

Don't worry about your perception of formality. They will have thought you very well dressed, and not over dressed, even if nothing was said. Stick with it and be confident.
The oxford shirt issue is simply that you are wearing a fabric that you're not familiar with, that's all. You'll be used to much thinner and less substantial fabrics that you've got used to. Oxford will feel different. It will look good, ever if it doesn't hang "right". They will be fine under a jumper, once you get used to the difference.

Dan1980

Reaction score
If it’s a very casual pub, you’re right, don’t wear a blazer. That’s where a thin leather jacket comes in handy for example, or a thin, black cotton or merino pullover. :cool2:

Where do you draw the line? This was a 4am bar /club but basically has no dress code. Im sure in a central London bar Id have fit right in, even been underdressed probably.

And if you are starting in a very casual pub first then upgrading later on?

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I go someplace classy, I’ll wear a blazer/sport coat. If I go to a regular pub or bar, then a leather jacket.

Down wear I grew up a leather jacket was too much. A country pub, the dog and a Barbour jacket.

**** I miss that life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads