• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I really like this top 100 must read list (warning - manly)

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read about 30 or so of them. I'm kind of surprised I hadn't read more, considering I avoided writing classes in highschool and college as much as possible by taking literature classes instead.

A lot of the literature I studied wasn't "Western" though. For example, I have two translations of The Art of War in my bookcase, and I think I've read at least one more translation.

What about Beowulf? Why isn't that on the list?

Also, as much as I like Krakauer. . . two books of his made the list? Really? Come on. How about Simpson's book Touching the Void? Both of Krakauer's books were about death. Touching the Void is about surviving.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mountains

Also, very Amerocentric, but most things on the blogosphere are.

Yes decent if unimaginative list but very American.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
What about Beowulf? Why isn't that on the list?

Why are most of those books on the list? Beowulf, The Iliad, The Odyssey, etc. do not belong on the list. They are epic poems which have had the stories torn from the verse leaving a labotomized tale and languid prosody flopping on the floor apart from one another.

It's an awful eclecticism which belies the understanding of most who would be exposed to it. The people who most likely should be reading these books are reading them -- for the second or third time -- and those who want a notch on their belt instead of an idea in their head are copying the grocery list for the next time they're done with their double-shot-latte at Barnes and Noble.

jmolt

Reaction score
I've read 18 or so of these books. All of which have been read in high school, I would say at least half of these books are on the AP/IB book list and a few are on the IB history list.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read 33 of these books. Damn I'm friggen manly.

boxing[1].gif

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the list is not manly it is anglo american and predictabl at best cocenring it choices of foreign lit.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
the list is not manly it is anglo american and predictabl at best cocenring it choices of foreign lit.
A list of books in an American publication linked on an American-hosted forum is primarily Anglo-American? Who would have thunk?

Agnacious

Reaction score
I have read 36.5 (I can't make it through Moby Dick). I was surprised to see The Metamorphosis listed. I read that about 30 years ago and all I remember is man wakes up as a bug. I am guessing I missed the sociopolitical message so it is probably due for a revisit.

I was actually going to start a thread about the Tarzan books, but now I don't have to. I read all the books, 30 something, at the same time as my father. He would read one first and leave it outside his door for me. We had great times talking about the books and really brought us closer, it is one of my favorite memories from my youth.

We still trade books, though he reads at a much faster clip than I am able to at this point.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely don't feel that I got anything from Atlas Shrugged, other than a headache and a reason to dismiss the opinion of anyone who cites it as a 'favorite'

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm at 52. Well, 51 and some fraction as I haven't read the entire Bible cover-to-cover.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Sometiimes a Great Notion isn't on there.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undoubtedly a good list of books, but it seems to stress the idea that a great man ought to read all of these, or at least most of them. As why implied, most of this blog's readers are less than likely to reread any of these very many times. To quote Flaubert, "What a scholar one might be if one knew well only some half a dozen books."

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've read 43 of these books and I quite like the selection as presented.

While you can certainly quibble, and you have to realize that the AOM site itself is fairly obsessed with Teddy Roosevelt and Hemingway, I'd say anything that gets men or boys to read is good in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads