I really feel like there is nothing to buy!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Styleman, Feb 17, 2005.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Odd thing is that even when I was a liberal, I was a conservative. I was president of my university's Liberal Party of Canada chapter, ran campaigns, served on provincial level boards, blah blah blah...but I always felt odd. In my last two years of university I saw the light and acknowledged what I really was...a libertarian/Objectivst/conservative [​IMG] That and I discovered J.Crew in 1990...the first step in reinventing my sartorial preferences.

2. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

Hey, if she's stunning, you better hone your skills my young friend, because she knows that as well as you do. Damn those beautiful women and their power.. Ha ha ha. My current girlfriend is so beautiful, I have found myself completely hypnotized and incapable of escape. They can do that. It is a dangerous thing to mess with. But we have no choice, right? You must capture this dazzling beauty, focus your energy on that instead of buying new clothes. The feeling you get from scoring with a crush is infinitely better than wearing new pants.

As for buying clothes, maybe you should just stick with clothing that is more appropriate for your age. You know... rather than oxfords, buy a good pair of sneakers or combat boots or something. Rather than trousers, buy some jeans, or maybe cut-off some old combat pants and do the punk thing. I don't know. What I do know is that it definitely helps to have two different styles - one for your school, which is mandatory, and another which will show your personal interests. Doing so will also dramatically help your chances of scoring a date with the dazzler you mentioned. She may find you more attractive were you to display some sense of personality, uniqueness, character, not sure how else to put it. Trust me, girls like that and she would be no exception.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

(linux_pro @ Feb. 17 2005,21:09) You are a teenage male. Â Why are you worried about buying clothes? Â GET OUTSIDE AND HAVE SOME FUN. Â People expect teens to be teens, which means plenty of crazy (read: fun) behaviour. Â Soon, you will be an old fart like the rest of us; sitting around thinking about what suit to buy (and worrying if it is appropriate for some boring meeting), or where to take our 2-week vacation, or worrying about the price of crude oil or the trade deficit, or some other "adult" nonsense. Â You're too young to be worried about buying a pair of oxfords or another suit. Â That kind of talk is unhealthy. Â I know that many here will not agree with me on that point, but YOU ARE A TEENAGE BOY, your primary concern should not be spending money on more clothes. Â You should be more concerned with how you're going to approach that one hot girl you've had a crush on for the last 6 months, or maybe with being accepted at some university you have chosen, or whatever, there are really a million things more important. Â I apologize for the preaching, I will stop now.
    That actually reminds me of something very funny that happened to me. I was doing a bit of clay-pigeon-shooting with some friends, and was having a conversation with this girl (she is stunning actually). We were talking about trust funds, Swiss bank accounts how much of the investors had started investing in different countries now, and all sorts of nonsense, (stuff you would say we teens shouldn't be talking about) . The instructor said to us, (and the person really pisses me off, because he always touches her and moves her into position to help her shoot, which to me just seems a bit paedophillic) "You guys seem much more intelligent than I was when I was your age, I don't even understand a lot of what you are talking about now". The girl's very apt and witty comment was "˜Westminster School Ya'know" putting on a very harsh Chelsea girl accent. At first, I felt hurt by the comment of the instructor; then I though to myself, well, look at you, your butt-ugly, you work at a shooting ground, and you are a sleaze bag, it is not a wonder you do not know what we are talking about. Latter on, the guy says to us, "leave the stock market alone now, and lets enjoy some shooting". I was going to say, we were not even talking about the stock market farm-boy, but I guess dignity got the better of me. Don't worry, I do plenty of 'teen' things, go to bars, the cinema, etc.etc. I'm not totaly lost, just a little...
    let me point out to you that this guy, butt ugly or not, is working an honest trade to support himself and his family, and has something to teach you, whether it is about stocks or shooting. you could do a hell of a lot worse in life than spend some time learning about the real world from such a "sleeze-bag". you don't become a gentleman due to the money your family has or where you go to school. being a gentleman is something that you need to learn, and/or grow into.

4. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Originally Posted by Styleman,Feb. 17 2005,14:24
    I doubt you are Westminster educated, and have a girlfriend who has attended finishing school - so to comment on Gentlemenlyness seems odd to me.
    A true gentleman would never have written the statement above.
    And a real gentleman who is Westminster educated would have likely spelled 'gentlemanliness' correctly. Is our Indian steel magnate back? There are two people in this thread who I doubt exist in the real world as they are billing themselves in this thread.

5. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

and was having a conversation with this girl (she is stunning actually)
    Hey, if she's stunning, you better hone your skills my young friend, because she knows that as well as you do. Â Damn those beautiful women and their power.. Â Ha ha ha. Â My current girlfriend is so beautiful, I have found myself completely hypnotized and incapable of escape. Â They can do that. Â It is a dangerous thing to mess with. Â But we have no choice, right? Â You must capture this dazzling beauty, focus your energy on that instead of buying new clothes. Â The feeling you get from scoring with a crush is infinitely better than wearing new pants. Â As for buying clothes, maybe you should just stick with clothing that is more appropriate for your age. Â You know... rather than oxfords, buy a good pair of sneakers or combat boots or something. Â Rather than trousers, buy some jeans, or maybe cut-off some old combat pants and do the punk thing. Â I don't know. Â What I do know is that it definitely helps to have two different styles - one for your school, which is mandatory, and another which will show your personal interests. Â Doing so will also dramatically help your chances of scoring a date with the dazzler you mentioned. Â She may find you more attractive were you to display some sense of personality, uniqueness, character, not sure how else to put it. Â Trust me, girls like that and she would be no exception.
    Yup, well she is my girlfirend now. And you are very right about 'their power' I do already do what you said, my style ouside of school consists moslty of jeanswear.

6. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

(4Mica @ Feb. 17 2005,17:28)
    I doubt you are Westminster educated, and have a girlfriend who has attended finishing school - so to  comment on Gentlemenlyness seems odd to me.
    A true gentleman would never have written the statement above.
    And a real gentleman who is Westminster educated would have likely spelled 'gentlemanliness' correctly. Is our Indian steel magnate back? There are two people in this thread who I doubt exist in the real world as they are billing themselves in this thread.
    Note the capitalisation, to the effect that it was a quotation of BrianSD's original message.

7. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'm with you.

9. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

who is this clown ?

.luc

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Thanks globetrotter, that's what I should have written - but you do have six years on me.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

(gorgekko @ Feb. 17 2005,15:03) There are two people in this thread who I doubt exist in the real world as they are billing themselves in this thread.
    Just for clarification (since you quoted me before stating there are two people in the thread who are not representing themselves how the are in real life) were you refering to me as one of those people?
    No, you aren't one of the pair, but I won't say who the two I believe are. This thread is already turning rancorous and I have been accused in the past of turning up the heat in other threads.

12. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  13. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

(4Mica @ Feb. 17 2005,18:11)
    There are two people in this thread who I doubt exist in the real world as they are billing themselves in this thread.
    Just for clarification (since you quoted me before stating there are two people in the thread who are not representing themselves how the are in real life) were you refering to me as one of those people?
    No, you aren't one of the pair, but I won't say who the two I believe are. This thread is already turning rancorous and I have been accused in the past of turning up the heat in other threads.
    You say it as if I could frankly care less that you think I'm an misapprehension.

14. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Although Styleman claims a yellow gold Cartier Tank, he does not claim that it's encrusted with diamonds. Also, Avnish did not make class distinctions-he was content to be the employer of those lower in status. And, further, Avnish did not feel the need to disparage farmers, as this was the role of his opponent Ernest. I trust you see that this is a somewhat mixed defense.

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I'm going to have to put that through the English<->Westminster Dictionary because as sentences go it was rather tortured. Goodness, a touchy lad, aren't we? Did I identify you as one of the pair? Why I may have been referring to LA Guy or imageWIS. I've always been suspicious of those two [​IMG]