1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I plan to buy a Rolex

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, May 11, 2005.

1. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

Jon, you already have 2550 posts? Don't lie to us; you are really living in France off their unemployment system...how else do you have time to post so much?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

(imageWIS @ May 14 2005,00:20) LA Guy, you already have 3800 posts? Don't lie to us; you are really living in France off their unemployment system...how else do you have time to post so much? Jon.
    Jon, you already have 2550 posts? Don't lie to us; you are really living in France off their unemployment system...how else do you have time to post so much?
    TouchÃ[​IMG], ROFLMAO... [​IMG] I working in a software firm, thus I spend all day on the computer... Jon.

3. Cliff

Cliff Senior Member

(ernest @ May 12 2005,21:47)
    Ernest, Don't you sleep? What time is it in Paris? 6... 7 o'clock in the morning? Sleep is for workers?
    Sleeping is for lazy people .
    [​IMG] HAHA... Brilliant Ernest response. Well done, Ernest...
    I think we've found the new Yogi Berra . [​IMG]

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I wish (I was on the French unemployment system).  Maybe then I could afford 12 Lanvin suits and a Rolex.  Actually, I do atmospheric modelling with computers, so am in front of one about 10-12 hours a day.  Lots of time to check the forum, which is in a little window most of the time.

5. Rabbi Mark

Rabbi Mark Well-Known Member

putting aside the guffaw-inducing qualities of the French welfare state, I find the "classic" Rollie -- oyster perpetual, gold and stainless with the bubble-top -- to be tacky in the extreme.

On the other hand, Sotheby's had a superb early '60s Explorer in stainless steel on offer about six months ago for one of their timepiece auctions. I think it went for about $2500, something really reasonable, not showy, but understated and nice. It was the first Rolex I've ever considered buying.

6. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

Obviously tacky

but

the classic is the steel SUB

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser,May 13 2005,06:00
    Sleeping is for lazy people .
    I nominate this statement for the Irony Hall of Fame. We really need to get ernest on a reality television show. Â It would be pure ratings gold.

It would do better than the Simple LIfe, I guarantee it. Â There could even be a crossover. Â Anyone know someone we could pitch a pilot to?
    I was thinking about a variation on the "mommy swap" shows. Â Ernest swaps families with a gangbanger from South Central. Â Hilarity ensues when ernest tries out his newly discovered street slang on the locals.

8. ernest

Cool off honkey.

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

(Ambulance Chaser @ May 13 2005,20:02) Hilarity ensues when ernest tries out his newly discovered street slang on the locals.
    Cool off honkey.
    dude how did you afford a patek.

10. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

(ernest @ May 13 2005,11:11)
    Hilarity ensues when ernest tries out his newly discovered street slang on the locals.
    Cool off honkey.
    It's easy, in Europe a wellfare payment is on average about 6.000 USD a month. In France it's even a bit higher than average.

11. ernest

Originally Posted by ernest,May 13 2005,11:11
    Hilarity ensues when ernest tries out his newly discovered street slang on the locals.
    Cool off honkey.

I never tip, N**** . So i saved up . Ernest, if I have to do this again, I'm going to have to start deleting your posts. Do not make me edit your language again - LAG.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

[​IMG] That "salary" probably puts you in the upper 25% of wage earners in the U.S.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

(Ambulance Chaser @ May 13 2005,20:02) Hilarity ensues when ernest tries out his newly discovered street slang on the locals.
    Cool off honkey.
    That comment would be the least of your worries. I can assure you of that. If we happen to be LA at the same time one special evening, we will go to the Dragonfly (a hiphop style club - you will easily pass the dress code) together. You can do the Smurf; and I am going to have a ball down at the precinct headquarters in the aftermath of you complimenting some other guy's Smurf technique.

14. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Cool it with the language.  

Striking a blow for miserly Frenchmen everywhere.

15. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

(Roy @ May 13 2005,14:18) It's easy, in Europe a wellfare payment is on average about 6.000 USD a month. In France it's even a bit higher than average.
    [​IMG] That "salary" probably puts you in the upper 25% of wage earners in the U.S.
    Nah, i'd wish it were true. Then i'd be on welfare too [​IMG]