• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Need Walking Friendly Dress Shoes

StephenB

Reaction score
I'm moving to NYC and my new job will require a lot of walking the city.

I'm willing to spend $400-$500 on a nice pair.

So my question is: what's your favorite walker friendly dress shoe?!

Thanks!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenB

I'm willing to spend $400-$500 on a nice pair.

So my question is: what's your favorite walker friendly dress shoe?!

Thanks!

I would say any good dress shoe is walk friendly. Every day here in NYC I walk about 2 miles in dress shoes. No issues. For your price range I would look into Alden. Most people here will highly recommend getting at least two pairs and rotating them.

ktrp

Reaction score
I walk min. 3 miles a day in dress shoes. No problems. Make sure they fit correctly. Too big is not good.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As other posters have stated, a good quality dress shoe that is properly fitted will work just fine.

I'm a fan or leather soles. Just remember, most good shoes have to break in before they become comfortable.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
As other posters have stated, a good quality dress shoe that is properly fitted will work just fine.

I'm a fan or leather soles. Just remember, most good shoes have to break in before they become very comfortable.

FTFY

poissa

Reaction score
Along with the rotation, don't forget shoe trees! Toe taps might be useful. If so, see bnelson shoe corp.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from NY. I was there as a tourist, so I walked much more than 2-3 miles a day. After 3 days I had blisters on my toes, because my shoes creased more than usual (I didn't have my shoe trees with me). My point? I'm not really sure... But at home, when I rotate my shoes and keep shoe trees in I never have problems walking long distances in them.

Also, I would recommend a shoe with softer leather.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in from the practical, real-world camp: Get rubber roles.
And do not get shell. Get leather that is soft and pliable.
eg: My $100 J&M shoes with thicker rubber soles and massive liner "bubble" padding.
You can literally sprint in these shoes. (Yes, I have...)

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I'll chime in from the practical, real-world camp: Get rubber roles.
And do not get shell. Get leather that is soft and pliable.
eg: My $100 J&M shoes with thicker rubber soles and massive liner "bubble" padding.
You can literally sprint in these shoes. (Yes, I have...)

Indeed, NY streets are unforgiving. Yes get something with rubber soles Ecco or Rockport, majority of people will not care. Get something that is comfortable.

michael_legeek

Reaction score
I'll echo the above comments that fit matters above all else.

I am somewhat more comfortable in rubber soles than leather over distances, but opinions vary.

I'd suggest you start with Allen Edmonds. Yes, you can go higher-end in style and luxury, but: AE carries a good selection of widths in nearly all of their sizes, so if you can get to an AE store or a well-equipped shop that carries them, you are almost guaranteed to find a good fit. AE offers quite a few rubber-soled models (I think the Van Ness, currently on sale @ $199, is quite attractive), so you can easily go rubber if you wish to. And AEs are well-built and long-lasting, and can be recrafted when you eventually need new soles and a touch-up on the uppers. Finally, they're suited to your budget. With careful shopping you can afford two pairs on your budget so you can give each a day's rest between wearings.

As others have said, don't forget the shoe trees.

And finally as others have said, break-in matters. Don't let your first wearing be a full day on the streets. Give them a few hours around the house, just relaxing in them and letting them start to conform to your feet. Let them rest a day and repeat. Let them be old friends by the time you are spending a full day on the job in them, and you'll have the pleasure of spending a day on your feet without thinking about your shoes at all.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenB

How much walking are we talking about?

Boswell

Reaction score
So long as they fit correctly they should be 'walk friendly'.

My most comfortable shoes have often been dress shoes.

bing

Reaction score
put a pair of arch supports in

i had back issues in university for a while (a lot of walking) and we couldnt figure it out... MRI's done, chiropractors, physio... etc.

in the end it was a pair of arch supports that had the biggest impact on my feet and as a result, my back.

made this recommendation to two other colleagues with very good results as well.

probably not 100% what you're question was looking for necessarily, but definitely had a positive impact on me.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Just got back from NY. I was there as a tourist, so I walked much more than 2-3 miles a day. After 3 days I had blisters on my toes, because my shoes creased more than usual (I didn't have my shoe trees with me). My point? I'm not really sure... But at home, when I rotate my shoes and keep shoe trees in I never have problems walking long distances in them.

Also, I would recommend a shoe with softer leather.

I think it is different walking in NYC as a commuter vs. tourist. A lot of commuters walk 2-3 miles in NYC, but a tourist can walk 10+ miles. A well fitting pair of shoes that is comfortable at 2-3 miles, may not always be comfortable at 10+ miles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads