1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I need to quit smoking, any advice from successful quitters?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by in stitches, Aug 4, 2011.

1. tenfingers

tenfingers Member

I quit after smoking for about 10 years, about 6 years ago. I used the patch, but leading up to that, I enacted a strict regimen to my smoking.

First I set an arbitrary, easy to reach limit. 1 cigarette per hour. This was cutting down slightly for me, but no big deal. The biggest thing that sticking to this accomplished was, rather than following cravings, I was in conscious control of when I decided to smoke. I followed that plan for 2 weeks, then I cut down to a cig every 2 hours, then every 3, then every 4. At that point, having about 3-4 cigs a day, it was easy to switch to the patch. I had one rough day where I totally freaked out while trying to replace my shower head. Fucking washer kept slipping out of my hand, and I had no ability to cope with frustration. I think I walked around my house throwing the shower head at walls and doors for about 15 minutes solid. Otherwise, it was smooth sailing.

The one other thing I did, was mention my plans to every single person I knew, even in passing. Everyone at work, my parents, my friends, everyone. I made sure to make such a big deal out of it that the embarrassment of failure would be hefty.

Ultimately though, you have to internalize, and commit to the idea that you absolutely want to quit and that there is *no* situation you ever want to smoke in again. Once you are emotionally invested in that idea, a huge hurdle is leaped.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

so i kinda had some ups and downs since i started this thread, but as an update i havent touched a cigarette in over a month. :D

3. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

because you switched from smoking cigs to smoking pole. :nodding:

seriously though.....congrats son. thats quite an accomplishment.

4. in stitches

thanks a lot dude. and :embar:

5. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Use your guilt:

[​IMG]

Edit: Didn't read whole thread, obviously.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

:slayer:

7. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Good advice on here. Today, there are many drugs to help combat the negative effects of nicotine addiction. Try one of these if you think you need to.

Otherwise, take up another vice like drinking or gambling. :teach:

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

^ I agree. Welbutrin has worked very well for me. It helped me quit a number of times in the past. As others have mentioned it often take several attempts to finally kick it for good. Right now I'm in my 5th month without a single drag and I have absolutely no desire to go back. It's an amazing and liberating feeling. I only took Welbutrin for the first month. The last 4 months have just been my commitment to never smoke again. For me it helps to have young children as an incentive. So far so good, and this time feels different. In the past when I quit, I think in the back of my mind I always looked at it as "taking a break" and that I could always have one here or there later on. Stupidity, that was. This time I know I don't even want to touch a cigarette again.

9. in stitches

ive taken up poasting :lol:

true that. ive fallen prey to that self trickery many times before.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I quitted in 1999 and I haven't thought once having a fag since.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

No advice just willpower...

You have first to ask yourself a few questions to establish a strategy.

Do you really want to stop???

Sounds stupid but most people are not really motivated and they always fail..

What are your motivations??

Money ,health , kids ,wife and so on?

You need to motivate yourself and especially if you're smoking to deal with the stress in your life ,you will have to compensate by finding a way to fight it...

Could sports ,working ,driving or anything keeping your mind off smoking..

Money: Motivate yourself by buying yourself something you really like with the money saved...

Social smoking is different...

If you smoke only in social gatherings , drink instead and you will be an alcoholic.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't quit, smoking looks awesome.

13. bullrams

bullrams Senior member

Go cold-turkey. I did, after smoking for 21 years. Been 6 years.

14. kaws N effect

kaws N effect Senior member

Ask yourself this- Why do I smoke? Whatever the reason is, try to find an alternative way. Whether it'll be an anxiety issue or depression, it can be emotionally resolved without inhaling chemical.

My only advice is to exercise your brain. Do what a healthy person do on a regular basis. Eventually, the need for cigarette will no longer cross your mind.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Smoking is an addiction and like any addiction ,there is a social and economical part of it...

If you're a social smoker , it is easier to cope with.

If smoking is helping you to deal with anxiery and pressure from work , it is obviously more complicated..

If you really want to quit , you have a good chance because you need will power more than some financial or family reasons to help you.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012