Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I need to put together a business casual wardrobe and get some nice dress shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by obsessis, May 18, 2006.

1. obsessis

obsessis Member

I might be starting a new job with a business casual wardrobe. what should I get for staples?

I am also interested in getting some dress shoes. What styles are nice/popular now? Are there any good shoes in the $100 price range?

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

if you're willing to double your shoe budget, Allen Edmonds has a shoe bank, you'll get very good quality.

3. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Check out www.tmlewin.com

4 shirts for 100 pounds. go with the luxury fabrics. it's one of the best deals going.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Hi,

You'll probably need long-sleeve dress shirts (in white and light blue), chinos or wool pants, a sportcoat, and two pairs of dress shoes (black and dark brown). Details about what you already own, office environment, and so on would lead to more specific advice.

5. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

I'm in a similar situation. I'm transitioning from a business-dress banking job (suit/tie, sportcoat/dress pant/tie) to a business casual corporate job.

Most of the people I saw during my office visits were wearing one of two outfits:
    1. Cotton chinos (khaki, olive, navy, etc.) and a button-front sport shirt; or
    2. Wool slacks (or chinos) and a polo-style/golf shirt.

I've chosen to dress one step better, dress pants and patterned dress shirts. Since I intend to lose some weight over the next few months, I didn't want to buy expensive shirts that won't fit (and would be too costly to alter) in a year; so, I shopped some discount stores (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Syms) and low/mid-range department stores (Foleys and Dillards) for discounted shirts. I found several respectable options in the $15-30 range. I bought four new dress pants pants in the $100-150 range since they're much more easily (and affordably) altered.

As stated previously, Allen Edmonds are a good bet and can usually be found in the $100-150 range on sale. A step down the quality/price ladder would be Johnston & Murphy.