• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need to go to a funeral tomorrow - I don't have a suit. Help?

Reaction score
So my grandmother who I don't really see died a few weeks back. I wasn't originally intending on going to the funeral but I was told today that I WILL be attending or there will be problems caused by my decision. This has all came a bit late and I simply don't have a suit, Atleast one that fits.

I've raided my wardrobe, And the most suitable things I found are

Shirt ;

1. White Oxford Shirt.

Jacket/Blazer ;

1. Tweed Blazer
2. Navy Tweed Blazer.

Pants ;

1. Black All Saints Jeans, Skiny.
2. Blue / Indigio Levi's 510 Skinny.
3. Blue / Indigo Levi 511 Slim.

Footwear ;

Brown All Saints Combat Boot
Pair of Smarter (But Scuffed) Topman Suede shoes.
Pair of Sperry Topsiders (Camel colour / light brown).

I also have 2 crombie jacket, One Camel and Black.

I've gone ahead and realised that I'm going to look stupid regardless of what I wear, As well as out of place but I am going and I need to match what I've listed above to look atleast acceptable to attend. I don't feel like anything I've listed above is really acceptable for a funeral but it's all I have to work with on such short notice....?

Given what I've listed above, What would you choose?

Not sure if this helps but I'm 5'8 and 68kg.

Edit; I'm really anxious about attending with what I have to wear, thats why I'm posting this here for opinions.
Getting a suit is not an option. It's too late and I don't really have the cash to be throwing around.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would strongly recommend that you get a pair of mid or dark grey dress trousers at the very least. Navy blazer/white shirt/grey trousers/suede shoes (what color?) would at least be passable. Jeans are not a good look for a funeral.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above. Jeans are gonna break almost anything you do here. Go w/ the navy blazer and the suede shoes as long as they aren't suede sneakers I guess.

kazusano

Reaction score
While I agree with the above, if you are really set on not buying anything, I would go with dark colors for a funeral. Given what you’ve got to work with, the oxford shirt, the black skinny jeans, the black crombie...and I guess the smarter suedes shoes. Since it’s a funeral, I would strongly encourage you to go to your nearest thrift store and shell out a couple of bucks for the darkest tie that you can find.

you’re going for a look like this, which I think would be passable for a funeral.

Reaction score
This is a nightmare.

The suede shoes are also a camel / dark sand type colour.... I did have a decent pair of Loakes until I tore them recently. They would have been a lot more acceptable.

I don't know if I'll be able to get into town tomorrow to buy some slacks, But I'll try my best along with a tie. I do have a pair of Navy suit trousers, along with the suit in general but it simply doesn't fit. The jacket is way too tight, And the the bottoms won't zip up fully.. lol.

I was thinking I could wear my suit and wear the crombie over the top to hide how small it was, And of course the zipper not zipping - But it's a little tight on the legs and It'll look terrible!

eagleman

Reaction score
It will be more important to your family that you are attending rather than how you are dressed.

If you don’t show up, they will never forget that. They will never remember what you wore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads