• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need to find a great tie for my wedding... and I need help

sobotkg

Reaction score
I have been a reader of styleforum for a pretty long time (but never posted). I usually have a fairly good idea of what I like right away. I have had a pretty easy time picking my clothes (shoes, suit, shirt). But I am absolutely STUCK when it comes to picking my tie (and by association pocket square).

I am getting married in two weeks ( the ceremony is around 4pm). I am a little nervous to describe what I am wearing because I know I am making at least one "mistake" I will be called out on. I was happy to use the event to finally buy Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (black) Shoes, a Calvin Klein Charcoal suit (peak lapel, slim fit), and a Banana Republic spread collar shirt (white). I have gone to a good tailor and made sure the suit fits the way it should and looks great.

(link to similar suit -- mine is charcoal and has NO STRIPES)
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-suit-black-stripe-peak-lapel-slim-fit?ID=796796

Now for the tie. I have bought two (one woven dark gray, the other is a 2" dark charcoal - really close to black). However neither look very good to me. Does anybody have any ideas for a great tie? As long as it is near or less than $100 I am game. Preferably dark. I am not leaving it up to you guys to decide, as I am still looking, but it would be a great help.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Firstly congratulations on the good news. Our new brand is launching in one week however we have pre-released some of our designs on eBay. Take a look and if any take your fancy we will get it shipped to you right away!

Hope all goes well on the big day!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wardrobe-Wingman-Monochrome-Collection-Afterglow-Tie-/200927109368

That is quite possibly the ugliest tie I have ever seen.

OP: you can find more in the Wedding Thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/329568/official-wedding-attire-question-answer-picture-thread/0_100

FWIW, the Kent Wang suggestions are good ones.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score

What a dreadful looking tie, avoid.

What is strange is three first posts lead this thread....

Strange indeed.

OP, in the event that you aren't a shill, you're getting some good advice (after the initial 2 polyester suggestions). Sam Hober is another common suggestion around here for good reason.

sobotkg

Reaction score
noooo I am not a shill. Thanks for the idea's! Looking at them right now. I will post my decision when I order it / them.

sobotkg

Reaction score
I cant seem to find many pictures of the kent wang ties with a charcoal suit, it is hard for me to imagine how they would look together. I do like the Grenadine black, but not for the wedding.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I cant seem to find many pictures of the kent wang ties with a charcoal suit, it is hard for me to imagine how they would look together. I do like the Grenadine black, but not for the wedding.

Why so? When buying any clothing some imagination is likely to be necessary. Have you never looked about you in the street to see what others are wearing to gain some ideas if you find it so hard?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads