• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Need to buy an Automobile

rzi

Reaction score
It's time for me to buy my first personal automobile. I have around 12,000usd to maximum 15 to spend.

I'm leaning towards a early 2000's 3 series BMW.

Any suggestions as to what cars I should look into? Where to purchase, what to look for etc?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, I need to spend under $13k, so I've been looking at the 2003 Honda Accord Coupe, 2001 BMW 3 series, 2003 Audi A4, and so on. I've been looking at ebay, and some are salvage, so I was looking at better cars.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rzi
Any suggestions as to what cars I should look into? Where to purchase, what to look for etc?

Get what you want, but I would advise you buy a used Asian import. Something like an older Accord, Camry, etc. They may be plain vanilla, but they will be a lot easier on your pocket book than a 7- 8 year old BMW.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spend a little more and buy a new Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris or Nissan Versa. The BMW will break down a lot making your 13K car more like a 18k car. Trust me.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's all the money you have, then you should stay away from any BMW before 2003. The maintenance alone will put a hole in your wallet. If I were to spend about $15k right now, I'd get a late model Subaru WRX. They're reliable, relatively cheap to maintain, and fun to drive. Just make sure it's a stick.

Trilby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Get what you want, but I would advise you buy a used Asian import. Something like an older Accord, Camry, etc. They may be plain vanilla, but they will be a lot easier on your pocket book than a 7- 8 year old BMW.

+1

As soon as BMWs get past the first 3 or 4 years, things start going wrong and they definitely become a lot more expensive to run. They are still good cars, but you need to factor in the cost of maintenance.

If you just want reliable, economical transport, then a used Honda or Toyota is the way to go.

Tiranis

Reaction score
BMW is going to be expensive for maintenance, but it won't be nearly as much pain ********** as VW, Audi, or Mercedes. Still, I would recommend an older asian import—preferrably not Toyota, since that's a boooooring car, unless you don't mind that.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impractical but great fun to drive - Mazda Miata

Still not bad to drive but more practical - Honda Integra or Prelude

Not good to drive but much more practical - Honda Accord or Civic

Very practical - Toyota Corolla, Camry or really anything else by Toyota.

As others have said, buying out-of-warranty European cars can be a risky business. Nothing may go wrong - but if it does, it will usually end up costing quite a bit.

As a rather pointless anecdote, in 2000 a friend of mine bought a 1995 BMW 318 coupe. Lovely car - drove very nicely and had an upgraded sound system, leather seats with fleece covers for the front seats, moonroof, and factory alloys. Less than a year after he purchased it, as he was driving home one afternoon, the car made a sickening noise , lost all power and ground to a halt. The reason? One snapped timing belt. The cost? Several thousands of dollars due to various internal engine parts having gone awry.

If you're going to get a used car more than a few years old, try to ensure that it has been serviced religiously.

For those ultra-cautious car purchasers out there, Toyota and Mazda use "non-interference" engines, so that if your timing belt breaks, your engine does not self-destruct as happened to my friend's car. I'm not sure about Honda, however.

Tiranis

Reaction score
If this happened somewhere in North America, I'm not surprised... people over here don't service their cars what-so-ever and as such when you know something about cars it's pain ********** buying an old one. Most older automatics in Canada have a completely ruined transmission...

If you were to buy an older European car back in Europe it would be far more reliable since most people actually get their cars serviced properly.

rzi

Reaction score
I live outside of NYC, though I have no interest in buying a camry ;(

Not my style.

moosy

Reaction score
For that money you can get a new Mazda 3, cheap, fun to drive, and very reliable - but it's no BMW

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
A BMW 3.0cs.

LK, I am starting to think you are becoming a BMW fanboy. This is a good thing.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
LK, I am starting to think you are becoming a BMW fanboy. This is a good thing.

I've always liked certain BMWs. But I also like Porsche and Mercedes with equal fanfare.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've always liked certain BMWs. But I also like Porsche and Mercedes with equal fanfare.

I happen to like vintage Porsche and Merc a lot more than BMW, for new cars the other way around. Btw, the paint and detail on the inside of your Mercedes looked very good. I could tell you take excellent care of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads