• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need to buy a cheap suit...

jughead4466

Reaction score
I'm going to put this bluntly, because I bet there are tons of threads like this.

If you had to buy a suit at Macy's, which of these brands would be a better overall purchase:

Alfani
BCBG
Calvin Kelin Mens
DKNY
Donald Trump
Hugo Boss
Jones New York
Lauren by Ralph Lauren
Michael Kors
Tallia
Tasso Elba

I'm a poor engineering student, and I desperately need a suit for interviews. I'm going with non stripe, 2 buttons, notched lapels, navy or charcoal (i like charcoal more personally) suit. There aren't any good deals currently for JAB, and the one Hickey Freeman suit I saw at Nordstroms rack was 500 dollars (orig 1000).

Also, couldn't find any in Marhalls, TJ Maxx, etc.

I guess I could look on ebay/amazon, for 40r suits, but I need one fast, and this is my first suit. Once I get a good job, I can start moving up in the suit world.

I have an athletic/stocky build. I'm 5'8, 185, and I V shaped torso, so I think an athletic/slim fit would be better.

Thanks SF!

Oh and the reason it's Macy's is that there is a promo code of 25% everything.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe there are no good deals at JAB -- they usually run at least two sales a week. You should be able to get two basic suits (navy and charcoal) for a decent price.

Twotone

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by was385
Whichever one fits the best

+1

all the brands listed are pretty basic starter suits, which ever fits your build best (without wasting too much money)will look the best, once you have a little more cheddar you can invest in some better suits
good luck on the new job i hope it lasts more than a week

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by was385
Whichever one fits the best

+1

all the brands listed are pretty basic starter suits, which ever fits your build best (without wasting too much money)will look the best, once you have a little more cheddar you can invest in some better suits
good luck on the new job i hope it lasts more than a week
teacha.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry about the double (now triple) post my computer is acting like a marsupial

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jughead4466
I'm going to put this bluntly, because I bet there are tons of threads like this.

If you had to buy a suit at Macy's, which of these brands would be a better overall purchase:

Alfani
BCBG
Calvin Kelin Mens
DKNY
Donald Trump
Hugo Boss
Jones New York
Lauren by Ralph Lauren
Michael Kors
Tallia
Tasso Elba

I'm a poor engineering student, and I desperately need a suit for interviews. I'm going with non stripe, 2 buttons, notched lapels, navy or charcoal (i like charcoal more personally) suit. There aren't any good deals currently for JAB, and the one Hickey Freeman suit I saw at Nordstroms rack was 500 dollars (orig 1000).

Also, couldn't find any in Marhalls, TJ Maxx, etc.

I guess I could look on ebay/amazon, for 40r suits, but I need one fast, and this is my first suit. Once I get a good job, I can start moving up in the suit world.

I have an athletic/stocky build. I'm 5'8, 185, and I V shaped torso, so I think an athletic/slim fit would be better.

Thanks SF!

Oh and the reason it's Macy's is that there is a promo code of 25% everything.

To be honest, none of them.

Hugo Boss is the only one remotely okay on that list--and that's if you ignore the whole "they made uniforms for the SS" thing (as well as the quality of their construction normally doesn't justify their cost). Nevertheless, you could do worse than Hugo Boss, like Lauren or DKNY.

One thing is to know your measurements. Buy a cloth tape measure at Walmart or Target, and get someone to take basic tailoring measurements so that you have some idea of your body size. To me, 5'8" and 185 doesn't sound that athletic: but if you have a 40" chest and 32" waist, you will probably need to get a slimmer cut suit. If you are 40" and 34-35" waist, then the most you want is a 6" drop.

The second thing is timing. Most places are having sales at the moment, but few places are having great sales. Unless you are graduating in December, I would wait for the after xmas sales, especially from Brooks Brothers.

As a few engineer, I can tell you that most places will be looking for conservative dress, which means your first suit should be either navy or darker gray. The after xmas sale on BB's 1818 line is pretty good from what I've heard (apart from being the epitome of American conservative dresswear), and the quality that you'll get will be superior to really anything you find at JAB, Macy's, or Dillard's. If you go the ebay route, DO PLENTY OF RESEARCH AHEAD OF TIME!

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
off 5th saks has a 40% sale going on wed to thurs. double check. but they have 40% sales all of the time. you can get a hugo, theory, and other brands for a good price.

i found 2 e armani suits for $240 and $320!! def. go there vs macys.

RangerP

Reaction score
For anything under 400$ (unless you get a really good deal), I would recommend just going with what fits the best and what you feel more comfortable in.

If you're not comfortable in the suit, you'll be self-conscious for the interview and that's no good.

Best of luck with your search... post pictures once you pull the trigger.

(What I often do is purchase like 2-3 suits and then take the time to really look at them at home. Then I just return the suits I don't like and head to the tailor with the one I do)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads