• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need something "trendy"

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who saw my RR/7FAM thread, it was part of a larger issue: finding one pair of "trendy" jeans. I like my dry/one wash denim a lot, but for some things, I just want/need a pair that fits right into the trendy crowds. Think LA/Hollywood/Beverly Hills for location. What brand/style should I be looking at. Whenever I'm actually out, I never get a chance to really pay attention (to men's style at least, somehow I just spend my time staring at girls, weird, isn't it?).

I've been looking at a bunch of brands, 7s, Citizens, RRs, Diesel, Antik, PRPS, AG, even Prada LR (just a glance, I swear), etc. So my question is, what jean is the most trendy to the minute, must have among that type of crowd (who never likes to get behind in trends)?

Yes, I might get laughed at here, but while I am usually a big fan of having my own style, sometimes I just need to fit in. However, I don't want to look like the fashion idiot who bought last year's style and has no idea (like big ass flares with bleach fading on them). While this may not be a question this group likes, trust me, it's for a purpose other than being a tool, lol.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Bro don't do it. I'm in hollywood and LA all the time and you don't want that garbage. I have people eyeing me up and down when I walk by wearing some dope kicks, nudie dry ralfs and slim button up with blazer or cardigan. I repeat don't do it.

edit- I have a friend who owns about 8 pairs of true religions and he swears he's tight.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET

edit- I have a friend who owns about 8 pairs of true religions and he swears he's tight.

See, that is what I don't want to be. I don't want to be avant garde to the degree people are like "wtf is that guy wearing," but I don't want yesterday's fashion either. I want the stuff that's pretty much runway-fresh right now, not last year. TR style (big flares, distressing, flap pockets) is completely played. I want the next big thing, while it's still on the up and up, or at least something that will be recognized as something worn by someone who pays attention to fashion. While I may only be mildly shallow, the girls I like "meeting" and "talking to" are much, much more shallow, and they aren't something I plan on giving up any time soon
wink.gif
. I want them to notice the guy who actually knows what's up. Maybe that does mean my dry straight jeans, but I'm not quite sure.

Goldengloves

Reaction score
Well I would very much agree with JET on this one. Being around LA I have to agree with you that you see a lot of 7, true religion, and the like but those are for people who are being hearded like sheep and prodded with "this is what the celebrities wear."
I would say if you want something that is "in" but is rather safe and has been a genuine staple, I would go with some Dior Homme denim. The 19cm is a nice look and is very versatile. Or you can go with the 21cm model and have more of a relaxed look. Either way, they are a nice pair of denim and people in the know, know what Dior denim looks like.
They are for sure not easy on the pocket book but most nice denim is that way.

Good luck and don't follow Hollywood trends, they change by the day! Stick to your own style, I'm sure more people will notice that more so than what new sevens you have on.

Smooth Genes

Reaction score
so instead of being a tool you just want to pretend to be one?

theshonen8899

Reaction score
You're getting it all wrong. Clothes are accessories for the person. We don't laugh at you unless you're this guy:
57383.jpeg
As for designer jeans, you've stumbled upon a purist forum. We take the time to buy dark quality jeans and age them ourselves as opposed to $500 predistressed jeans. Whether you go with the common trend or the purist is really only a matter of how much time and effort you're willing to spend on you're jeans.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goldengloves
I would say if you want something that is "in" but is rather safe and has been a genuine staple, I would go with some Dior Homme denim. The 19cm is a nice look and is very versatile. Or you can go with the 21cm model and have more of a relaxed look. Either way, they are a nice pair of denim and people in the know, know what Dior denim looks like.
They are for sure not easy on the pocket book but most nice denim is that way.

Actually, these look pretty nice:

http://eluxury.com/browse/product_de...SectionID=7000

and if I don't go for selvage (which I don't care about), they aren't that bad price-wise. How will they fit? I have pretty athletic thighs, but am not huge in the waist? Do the waists run true to size? Also, when they say it's 21cm opening, is that across when the jeans are laid flat, or around?

J-Shock

Reaction score
I have a small spot for Diesel in my heart. I have been wearing their jeans since i was a baby (my mom bought them for me) and i have seen the quality and the design go down. But there are still some nice Diesel jeans that are great for around the house or for a lazy day. Just trust your instincts and dont buy those crappy washes. Something subtle is always best imo

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh... Just follow the advice given in GQ, and you'll be set. Right now, the trend is dark denim, but not necessarily raw, in straightleg cuts, in recognizable brands (again, see GQ). Not a bad trend, as they go, imo. LA is usually a little flashier than NYC, and the rest of the country for that matter, so go for a little more flash, but not Elton John style. How about some of the new Corpus jeans (maybe it's the Fine?).

J-Shock

Reaction score
I just saw your post on dior jeans and i have to comment. Diors have been my jeans for 2-3 years now. The brut denim is great. 21cm refers to the opening at the bottom of the leg (circumference around). They are great jeans with amazing quality if you take the Japanese made ones. They are not jeans that you wear for crazy fading so dont expect that, although others and I have had nice results.

They are not trendy as in no one besides people on both SFs or fashionistas know about them. The 19cm are also nice but much more slim and not everyone can pull it off.

The washed Diors are also excellent, although some are to over the top for me (the ones that are completely ripped or the wax ones).

Sorry for the rant, i just love dior jeans

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Sigh... Just follow the advice given in GQ, and you'll be set. Right now, the trend is dark denim, but not necessarily raw, in straightleg cuts, in recognizable brands (again, see GQ). Not a bad trend, as they go, imo. LA is usually a little flashier than NYC, and the rest of the country for that matter, so go for a little more flash, but not Elton John style. How about some of the new Corpus jeans (maybe it's the Fine?).

Yeah that's what I'm seeing in "in the know" circles (people who read GQ and go to vernissages with their semi-dry jeans and think that makes 'em fashion and art experts). Isn't earnest sewn a good bet for those (their dark washes)? They have some stuff that is pretty good and certainly not in any way stylistically inferior to the dry denim people love here.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Yea, earnest sewn is starting to become popular now. All kinds of big department stores and boutiques are carrying them now. They're not TR or Diesel, but they're probably on the up and up if tha'ts what you're looking for. Go with a pair of dark(maz 3d or something like that) in fulton or filson whatever is their straight leg.

ardeetee

Reaction score
ES has been around for a little while now, just always in the shadows of TR and such brands when you goto department stores. I think they make a great pair of pre-distressed jeans that isn't over the top... what's even better is that because they aren't super-popular, they get marked down quite a bit (I saw a bunch last month at stores like Off 5th, Loehmanns) so if you just look around some, you can find them for $60-80 instead of the original $200.

presidentofvice

Reaction score
The diors are a great suggestion, can't go wrong there. and as somebody else said ES has some pretty nice stuff. Always liked the ES details, but none of the cuts have really worked out for me personally. I don't know where specifically you are hanging out, but I live in Los Feliz and when I see the RR/7FAM/TR crap it's usually in hollywood on the weekends and its usually on OC meat-heads (no offense to you OC peeps). most of those guys like flarez too. I've always done well with my dry denim. personally, i think that is runway fresh. friends of mine who are stylists have always complemented me on my jeans. Again I don't know where you are hanging out specifically, but i certainly don't consider the people on the sunset strip/LAX/Geisha House tip all that fashion forward. plus i don't know that completely blending in is going to translate into pulling loads of shallow chicks. may i ask where you are actually hanging out?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really see how Dior's are any trendier than any other pair of raw denim? You guys suggest them because of the fit or something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads