• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need some shoes to look dumpy

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally during the fall I'm wearing jeans, sweaters and a textured blazer, but in a sort of sloppy, unkempt (collegiate) way. Usually that means sneakers, but I'd like to diversify a little. I've tried to wear chukkas, wingtips, loafers, etc., but the niceness of these shoes ratchets up the slickness of the look more than I'd like. Are there any brown leather shoes to match my sloppy aesthetic? Would a pair of tan desert boots work?

familyman

Reaction score
clarks wallabees?
That or LL Bean blutcher moc style shoes.

JO3B

Reaction score
985-279957-p.jpg

i don't like this model personally, but there are other brands coming out with distressed brown dress shoes.

the boys of rugby on union sq. do what you're going for quite well.

i suggest you ask them.

jookz

Reaction score
Go to thrift stores and try to find pairs of used, high-quality shoes. I recently picked up a pair of Johnston and Murphy captoes that have some wear on them. The leather is a bit creased, and theres some slight scuffing/discoloration on the toebox, but I think they look rather great. They seem to fit the asthetic that you're going for, and for $8 (what I paid for my shoes), you can't really go wrong. It's definitely worth a shot.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
You could try distressing a pair of shoes. I'm sure somebody here could give an idea of how to do it.

Reaction score
Go for Clark's Desert Treks over the Desert Boots. The former looks less clean than the latter. Wallabees is a great suggestion.
nod[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
+1 on Wallabees. that sounds like the perfect shoe for your needs.

chim

Reaction score
you should look into alfredo bannister

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jookz
Go to thrift stores and try to find pairs of used, high-quality shoes. I recently picked up a pair of Johnston and Murphy captoes that have some wear on them. The leather is a bit creased, and theres some slight scuffing/discoloration on the toebox, but I think they look rather great. They seem to fit the asthetic that you're going for, and for $8 (what I paid for my shoes), you can't really go wrong. It's definitely worth a shot.

I like this idea. Either that, or raid your old mans closet.

K

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chim
you should look into alfredo bannister

bannisters a bit too avant garde for this look I think. Dusty's look is more ivy league/prep than Japanese fashionhead.

this_is_james

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
You could try distressing a pair of shoes. I'm sure somebody here could give an idea of how to do it.

yes please advise.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by this_is_james
yes please advise.
Wet them up with bleach, crease them really hard. Sand them with sandpaper, twist and crinkle them as much as you can. That should do a good trick. Afterwords, a bit of black and brown blended shoe cream around certain areas, and then a round of black shoe polish should really make them look oldschool.

Kid609

Reaction score
Wear your dad's old Rockports or your older brother's old Doc Martens

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never mind, I saw where you lived and this does not work

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads