• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need some serious fit help with my suit jackets and sport jackets...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think a tailor is worth it for these jackets. I imagine it would cost a lot to fix them, if it's even possible.

For what it's worth, I've had similar bad luck with J.Crew's tailored clothing. It just looks wrong on me, just doesn't fit. Try something else.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I don't think a tailor is worth it for these jackets. I imagine it would cost a lot to fix them, if it's even possible.

For what it's worth, I've had similar bad luck with J.Crew's tailored clothing. It just looks wrong on me, just doesn't fit. Try something else.

Sage advice young Jedi. The tailoring force is with you.

DrFaustus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123

I tend to agree. I have a feeling if I try to get the jacket altered, it will end up being even more of a cluster-****. It does make me feel a bit better knowing that other people have had problems with the J. Crew cut. However, they are within my budget and I do like the look of the jackets. However, not at the expensive of them fitting me this badly.

Originally Posted by laphroaig
Your very straight, shoulders-back posture doesn't seem to work with the first jacket so it looks loose down the back the back and pulls in every direction from the front. If that isn't your natural posture it could possibly fit perfectly if you move your shoulders forward. This should naturally bring your collar down and the pulling in the waist should disappear.

The second jacket looks much better, maybe you haven't got your shoulders so far back in that picture and jacket looks softer. The pulling at the back bottom of the jacket could be because of the jeans or again the way you are standing. If it's just that you're standing to attention to camera then I personally think there's a good chance both jackets could fit perfectly, the shoulders seem to be spot on, and I'd personally keep the second jacket in any case, the pulling near the vent won't be as visible in real life as you're moving around.

That is basically how I normally stand. For reference, the khaki jacket was pulling when buttoned regardless of how I was moving. Also, the lapels are bellowing out when I button, a sure sign of it being too tight in the waist, no?

Do you believe the second jacket is worth keeping, or should I try the next size up for that particular model? It feels a bit tight everywhere, including the shoulders and back.

Originally Posted by ManofKent
+1 - I think this is the basic problem - jacket two isn't far off, but I don't think jacket one fits at all well, although it doesn't look overly small.

NO!!!

You generally want the jacket's actual measured chest size to be 2-3" larger than your bodies measured chest but this has nothing to do with the labelled size.

I agree, jacket #1 is not fitting... looks like it's going back! It bums me out, I really had my heart set on getting a khaki jacket/suit.

Originally Posted by Thurston
Everything looks so off that it almost appears that the first jacket in particular is not even sitting on your body correctly. I'd recommend trying the jackets on again with a collared dress shirt and pants that fit around your waist and a relaxed posture. Even if that's not how you'd wear these jackets, the other items will give some sort of benchmarks to gauge the fit around the collar and buttoning point. As it is, everything in the pictures looks sort of disjointed.

I will do that and post pictures. However, the more that I wear the khaki jacket, the more it feels totally wrong on my body.

I should mention, at risk of being dragged into the street and shot, that I bought these jackets online.
eh.gif
Lesson learned?

Perhaps someone could shed some light onto my size. As mentioned, my chest is about 37.5". My *actual* waist is 34", but I wear 31-32" pants/jeans. Is this going to cause a problem when trying to find a jacket, or am I a fairly standard size?

By the way, thanks for all of the responses. You guys are honest, which is what I need! :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads