• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need some image advice

needadvice

Reaction score
Hi, glad to have found this informative resource.

I'm 19, and am in a state of flux about what style I should pursue for myself given my looks. I'm skinny (136 lbs, 28 inch waste), not super tall (5'9) and quite pale. My body is kind of strange too...skinny like i mentioned but quite cut, I have good genes to than for that I dont think i could pull off the whole "rocker" thing, despite my obsession with Bob Dylan, but I digress.

I will provide pics if you would like.

As I said, I'm 19, from Philadelphia and am, by disposition, very urban. I attend University of Penn so I'm equidistant from the shopping riches of King of Prussia and the funkier Center City area.

I appreciate any help!

dougie

Reaction score
man i tried way harder than i should have to find an appropriate picture of morrissey to respond with and i don't even know why.

seriously, you're 19. just try **** out. if it works, great. if it doesn't, fine. no matter what you wear you're gonna look back and cringe.

afaludi

Reaction score
for college all you really need are some good jeans that will last you, a suit that fits you, some plain colored tee shirts, pair of dress shoes and a pair of trainers. Everything else just buy what you like and let your wardrobe grow.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ What he said. I dunno about you guys, but when I was 19, my budget was pretty limited and probably couldn't even afford that much.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advise you to stay away from King of Prussia
smile.gif

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
from your username, it doesn't seem like you were planning on staying here (which is fine), but I would advice you to read around the forums. After becoming a member here, I've learned quite a bit (from fragrances to denim etc...)

I'd advice you to invest in a good pair of jeans (or two), several tees, 3-4 button-ups, and some shoes of your choice. That should be easily accomplishable with under $400-500. And by no means do you have to buy them all at once either. Start with some nice denim. Add it a pair of shoes (commonly suggested here are Chucks, Vans, and the like)

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I would advise you to stay away from King of Prussia
smile.gif

Hah! Try it when you live there...

I would advise people to stay away too, especially around Christmas. It's a pain ********** to get anywhere with everyone going to the damn mall.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needadvice
Hi, glad to have found this informative resource.

I'm 19, and am in a state of flux about what style I should pursue for myself given my looks. I'm skinny (136 lbs, 28 inch waste), not super tall (5'9) and quite pale. My body is kind of strange too...skinny like i mentioned but quite cut, I have good genes to than for that I dont think i could pull off the whole "rocker" thing, despite my obsession with Bob Dylan, but I digress.

I will provide pics if you would like.

As I said, I'm 19, from Philadelphia and am, by disposition, very urban. I attend University of Penn so I'm equidistant from the shopping riches of King of Prussia and the funkier Center City area.

I appreciate any help!

I'm about your size, maybe a little bit smaller, and you could definitely pull off a skinny "rocker" look.

Surfrider

Reaction score
This may sound like a rhetorical question, but it's not; I would really like to know the answer. What sort of style do you like? Forget about what you think you may or may not be "able to pull off." Forget about what you can or can't afford. Forget about what chicks think is hot. Forget about what your buddies think is cool. Forget about what others on the board may say about your tastes (seriously, there's a handful of real, genuine assholes here that apparently take pleasure in being cruel to others; don't let 'em get you down). In a perfect world, what "look and feel" would you adopt for yourself and your own style. Cookie if you provide a few pics with your answer/examples.
smile.gif
PS:
Originally Posted by dougie
no matter what you wear you're gonna look back and cringe.
There is definitely some truth to this statement.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics