• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need some chairs

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a large and spacious 230 sq ft studio that I just moved into and am still furnishing it. I managed to modify and repaint some hand-me-downs but now I need somewhere to sit. I plan on being at this place for probably at least a year. The place isn't big but I need somewhere to sit in front of my TV (which is really my old LCD with s-video input). I need something relatively small and hopefully something versatile enough to bring with me. I was thinking of getting something like this: http://www.moderncollections.com/ind...WPROD&ProdID=4 I would probably get the chocolate color since it is a classic look. The price is at the top end of my budget. I was thinking two chairs and a small tulip table in between. I don't know if I am going to get 2 of the Barcelona style chairs or if I will mix and match. The 30"x30" footprint is about as large as my place can take. Maybe could pair the Barcelona with something like this http://www.moderncollections.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=203 or http://www.moderncollections.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=159 I worry about the quality of the furniture. I have never bought furniture before really. Some of these chairs cost $5k, and this one costs about $1k. How do I know what is good? I have been to Ikea and while I have bought many things from there like shelving and wall decoration, I would never buy their sitting furniture, it is a complete waste of money. Even at Target a decent looking chair is $200+.

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
I agree the Barcelona chairs are nice, and as previously stated can be put together to form a small lovechair, but I would get the tan colored one instead

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the quality of these barcelona chairs. They are cheap though, ever for knockoffs, so I wouldn't expect much.
Anyway, barcelona chairs look very nice, but are not comfortable. I wouldn't get them for this purpose. For that kind of budget, you can probably get a nice loveseat from a reputable maker.

!luc

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the LC basculant chair is very, very uncomfortable. At least for me.

!luc

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
I don't know about the quality of these barcelona chairs. They are cheap though, ever for knockoffs, so I wouldn't expect much.
Anyway, barcelona chairs look very nice, but are not comfortable. I wouldn't get them for this purpose. For that kind of budget, you can probably get a nice loveseat from a reputable maker.

!luc

I read the construction details on the site.
The Barcelona chairs are very well made.
They're probably cheap because of competition.
I've sat on more uncomfortable seating.

summej2

Reaction score
For ~$2000 I'd look at vintage Knoll over current construction. Try www.wright20.com. They sell at fixed price ("wrightnow") as well as by auction. I've had good experiences with them both as a buyer and seller.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had experience with the Barcelona knock offs. They are actually quite sturdy. I'll never argue with the purists, but on a budget I think they are a good deal. We have several at the university, they take a beating from the students and they have held up great.

I second the above advice on comfort -don't plan on watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy in this chair. My advice is to get the ottoman as well. I'm forever looking to prop my feet up on something.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
For ~$2000 I'd look at vintage Knoll over current construction. Try www.wright20.com. They sell at fixed price ("wrightnow") as well as by auction. I've had good experiences with them both as a buyer and seller.

Very nifty webpage.. but f'ing expensive, holy crap.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately Modernist furniture has become extremely inflated. I blame the people who live in L.A. with their Richard Neutra houses and black Prada suits.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sat in a Barcelona at the store today, it wasn't all that uncomfortable, but surely you couldn't watch a long movie in it optimally. My studio is very very small. I will have to put these chairs about 1ft away from my TV. Otheriwse I can go back 3' and be on my bed to watch the movies.

I found another chair that I like even more
http://dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=8108

It is comfortable and has the same foot print as the Barcelona (not reclined).
The wool fabric covering is still $2k, which kinda breaks my bank a little bit. Does anyone know where I can find another similar knock off?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Unfortunately Modernist furniture has become extremely inflated. I blame the people who live in L.A. with their Richard Neutra houses and black Prada suits.
My wife and I once almost submitted a low-ball bid on a Neutra house that was a major reclamation project. We own no Prada suits.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Very nifty webpage.. but f'ing expensive, holy crap.

holy crap... +1

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.merchantmanager.com/ita63...ASP?pageno=883

Check that out, it could be useful in such limited space. I used to have a studio that was around that size and it's really not a lot to live in. You want all your furniture to provide double function if possible. For instance, I had a coffee with a top that would lift up and towards you so that you could eat off of it while sitting on the couch which was great because i didn't have room for a table. And get low-profile stuff because you don't want furniture to dominate the room. I also recommend that you avoid the barcelona chairs.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
My wife and I once almost submitted a low-ball bid on a Neutra house that was a major reclamation project. We own no Prada suits.
Sometimes you can find very run-down Frank Lloyd Wright houses for a song too. My new favorite architect is Joao Artacho; he designed really stylish '50s apartment buildings in Brazil. Tom Ford is the perfect example of those rather pretentious people who buy up Modernist furniture, leading to its high prices--Le Corbusier, Jean Prouve all espoused "democratic design".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads