• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Need New Shoes

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some recommendations for new shoes. Now before everyone starts telling me to use the search function, I have searched through previous threads but haven't really found them useful.

Back in highschool, I'd always just wear white K-Swiss but I think I need to get past that now. What are some brands I should look for? I prefer a white and/or black, clean look and nothing that's too hypebeasty. I wear jeans most of the time, sometimes chinos or khaki shorts.

Searching through older threads, this shoe caught my eye so I'm looking for something similar. Also, what are people's opinions of the shoe from Guess?

adidas-mens-adidas-ltd-ed-m-rod-laver-white-black-4276.jpg

GMCOLLIN-WHMLE-LB.jpg

Dekayte

Reaction score
Most people are going to automatically tell you this.

-Common Projects
-Spring Court
-Converse

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
Searching through older threads, this shoe caught my eye so I'm looking for something similar. Also, what are people's opinions of the shoe from Guess?

First pair (Rod Laver): a BIG yes, get the vintage version (Adidas Originals line) if you can.
Second pair (Guess): styling would've been okay without the Guess logo. Quality is below par, as usual with all Guess stuff. A definite no.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That shoe is surprisingly low-key for something by Guess, but that skechers-esque pair of stripes rubs me more than slightly the wrong way. If you're going for minimal, perhaps you should look past attention-hogging embellishments like velcroe straps? I just bought myself a pair of SpringCourt b4 midtops, and I dig their clean look, even though they so far seem really hard to break in. Adidas's Vintage Stan Smiths also work-- just make sure they're the vintage model, since you get better leather and a more streamlined feel.

jkennett

Reaction score
I agree with the stan smith recommendation. I have a few pairs and wear them almost daily. rod lavers aren't a bad shoe either.

mtgguy777

Reaction score
somewhat off topic but what are your opinions on dunks, af1's, etc. with jeans?

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of the stan smiths and I'll be getting a pair but one question first, they seem a bit narrow, should I go up 1/2 a size if my feet are kinda wide?

As for the rod lavers, I can't seem to find the white on white style in the first picture. The closest would be this, I still like the simplicity of it.

7768-38670-d.jpg

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Stan Smith Adidas Originals. Cool, but not my favorite shoe. I thought the leather would be better.

My favorite shoes at the moment are Bikkembergs. Say what you want about Eurotrash -- the low profile, comfort, and sleekness totally offset all the often undue criticisms of the clothing line.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of the stan smiths and I'll be getting a pair but one question first, they seem a bit narrow, should I go up 1/2 a size if my feet are kinda wide?

As for the rod lavers, I can't seem to find the white on white style in the first picture. The closest would be this, I still like the simplicity of it.

7768-38670-d.jpg

just so you know, the ones in the pic are rod laver vintage, which are much sleeker than the regular rod lavers you posted in your pic, which are pretty bulky. The site whacked posted and other UK sites are probably the only place you can get them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads