• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need more help with shoes

BlvdDandy

Reaction score
I currently own no shoes that are appropriate for wear with a suit. Part of the reason is that I've always thought my big feet look ridiculous in non-sneaker shoes. However, I've committed myself to finding a good pair, especially after my luck with these RLPL EGs on eBay (not suit-worthy, but they convinced me that my feet can look good in real shoes). I've concluded, thanks to an earlier discussion here, that a shoe with a tightly beveled waist and small welt will make my foot look most reasonable, as will a loafer with a short vamp. However, because I would like to wear these shoes with a suit, I've decided that loafers aren't my best bet. I don't want to spend too much, because I won't be wearing them that often. I was thinking something like this, which goes for around $375. I also like these, but I haven't tried them on and think they would be significantly more expensive. The first are Cole Haan Collection, which I've tried on and think they look decent. The second are Santoni, and I have no idea what they might look like on my foot. I also gather that brown is more versatile than black and acceptable in almost all the same occasions, but if I'm wrong please correct me. For reference, I've tried on Allen-Edmonds shoes but they all look huge on my feet; I need something sleeker. Any thoughts on these 2 shoes? Recommendations for what else I should be looking at? Thanks.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one is much more of a "fashion" shoe IMO. Notice the unsubtle stitching and the extra-long toe cap. The designer is obviously trying very hard (too hard, I think) to jazz-up a traditional cap-toe. The second, the Santoni, appears more timeless to me; plus, it has a somewhat pointy toe so as not to be as conservative as, say, an Allen Edmonds "Park Avenue" shoe.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cole Haan is disgusting, IMO. The Santoni is much better looking. Be careful though when going for an extended, chisel toe. While you are rise for avoiding Allen Edmonds because it might make your feet look too wide and therefore huge, the extended chisel toe can give you the opposite problem -- your foot looks sleek but overly long. IMO, you are better off going for something that doesn't have much of an outsole and that gradually becomes a square toe. The Edward Green 606 is the ideal, IMO. Compare how the 606 looks with how that Santoni looks. See the difference? That could be the difference between you looking like you have size 13 feet and looking like you have size 11 feet. (No offense to those with size 13 feet).

BlvdDandy

Reaction score
Any place online where I can look at the 606? Or I guess since you're in Boston, are there stores which carry both Santoni's and EGs?

Thanks for both responses. I had a feeling the Cole Haans were a bit out there, but when I tried them on I really liked that they didn't make my feet seem wider than they already are. I see your point about the length though, and you're right.

So what's one of these shoes going to cost me?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know of anywhere in Boston that carries EG anymore. Saks certainly doesn't, and neither does NM here. But I don't mean for you to go out and buy EGs. Rather, look at the design of the last. Then find something that is in a more reasonable price range and choose accordingly. I think someone posted the EG catalogue here once. Don't remember who.

Also, take a look at the Paul Stuart website. The Stuart's choice perf cap toe that is $625 strikes me as a virtual copy of the 606 last.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Paul Stuart perf cap toe looks great, just as I described. New York is the closest place I can try those on, right?

Bennie, how late are you open? I will certainly call and take you up on your offer. Thanks.
til 6

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Stuart's choice perf cap toe that is $625 strikes me as a virtual copy of the 606 last.
It has a longer toe than the 606, closer to the 888 IMO. If you want to make your foot look smaller, a chisel toe that isn't too elongated will work. It's even more effective to buy pants with more width at the cuff. And best of all, just quit worrying how big your foot looks.. That's what I do
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics