• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need input on my first MTM slim fit shirt.

Surreal

Reaction score
So I ordered a white test shirt for 20 bucks from moderntailor.com.

I tried to design this shirt to be wearable untucked as well as tucked and to be a slim fitting one.

So far personally the only problem I see is that maybe I could add darts on the back and the remove a couple of cm's from the lowest point around the legs (circumference wise) as well as biceps/arms.

Other than that I think the fit is best that I have had so far. However, I'd like my next shirts to be of a material that is not so raunchy and much smoother. Maybe I should choose a twill texture?

Disregard the low quality of the material, it's a test shirt. The main issue here is fit.

Thank you guys.

whitetestshirt.jpg

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little too wide in the shoulders. Sleeves are definitely too big, possibly a bit too long. Can't really tell about the torso because it looks like you have all the excess fabric pulled back. If you want a shirt to have a slim fit and look clean, with your build, it will need darts

Surreal

Reaction score
I just tried the shirt on again to check and the shoulders are just at the right point. I think it might seem that they are a bit off because of my build and because the sleeves are so wide. I might add a kilo or two of muscle in the following months, so I think the shoulders will be just right. But everything else - yes, adjustments need to be made.

I added a pic I think of sending them as a reference for my next shirt with the same measurements. What do you think? The armhole must remain the same size though, if it is reduced a bit I might have problem moving arms, at least it feels like it, since my upper back is quite wide.

I added the things that should be changed in red:
whitetestshirtformt.jpg

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe your posture is wierd or the shirt is hanging wierd in one of the pics but the left shoulder seam is definitely sagging. Higher armholes can give you more mobility. The explanation is a little long and I'm tired but trust me here. Its hard to tell what's going on with yours in the pics because your arms are at your side. Other than that, yeah, a little less faric in the torso and arms would work wonders.

Surreal

Reaction score
Here are slightly better pics with the lower hem taken in to give the shirt a straighter look.

I also added the sizing I used when ordering, so maybe you can recommend me how to alter the measurements for the next order.

measurements.jpg

white2.jpg

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
you need to raise the armhole a lot. it will help with your mobility and slim the sleeve at the same time.

Surreal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate
you need to raise the armhole a lot. it will help with your mobility and slim the sleeve at the same time.

How to do that? I can only give them the measurements. Should I reduce shoulder length?

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
How to do that? I can only give them the measurements. Should I reduce shoulder length?

are you basing your MTM on a shirt that you own already and like the fit? Or is it totally from scratch?

I would say to measure the armhole and bicep of a shirt that you like the fit of and see how those compare to the MTM.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do that by reducing the armhole measurement. i can't tell you what to reduce it to, though.

Surreal

Reaction score
No, I used body measurements and had them taken by a person who knows tailoring.

Here are the exact measurements I used:
measurements.jpg

Basically yes, it is from scratch.

Surreal

Reaction score
I couldn't get the arhmole thing fixed. We tried, but it made excess material in the back and looked really ******. I managed to reduce the size of waist in the back and arm sleeves.

Here are two of my slimmest shirts. White and blue. I'm thinking that white fits perfectly in the waist and hips, while the blue is good in shoulders, chest and sleeves. Maybe if I took appropriate measurments from both shirts and combined them into 1, then I could get the perfect fitting shirt. What do you think?

whiteandblue.jpg

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course you couldn't fix the armhole problem. You would have had to magically grow extra fabric there to reduce its size. It looks like all the tailor did was put in darts in the back, which made the waist/hip smaller.

So yeah, just compare the two shirts you have now and take the measurements from the best fitting areas. Use these to order the new shirt, and don't rely on the body measurements because you probably won't be happy with the extra allowances they will interpret for you.

FYI, the "bicep" measurement will the trickiest because I still have no idea at what point they actually measure it. So expect to have to tweak measurements at least one more time after this one.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you have several fit problems. You can PM me for help or you might want to PM shirt maven. If you are going to have a custom made shirt have it done right.

Surreal

Reaction score
What do you think of the latest mtm shirt? I tried to fix all the problems that I had before, although sleeves are probably too short on this one still.

2rhvjo6.jpg

I know you don't like black, but the fit is what matters here most.

SP230

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm in the same situation as you OP - looking for slim MTM shirts that can be worn untucked occasionally. I appear to have a similar build although 8cm shorter and 4kg lighter.

The black one does look very good (although it's tough to see with the dark coloring). I also agree on the sleeves being short.

A few questions, if you're happen to look at the thread:

1. What type of bottom finish did you get? It looks like "round" to me, but it could be "cut."

2. What collar style did you get? I usually like spread, but their cutaway style actually looks better to me.

3. How have your shirt been in regards to wrinkling and ironing? The relative lack of wrinkle-free fabrics on MTM shirts is the #1 thing keeping me from buying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads