• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Need Help with Prom!!!!!

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C'mon geezers, the kid is 17 or 18. I suspect most of the lads at the prom will be wearing black shirts & black/blue/grey striped/pattern tie. Many of 'em will arrive in giant white Hummer limousines. Vomit will be everywhere. I don't know why we expect kids to follow the evening wear rules when for almost all involved this is a costume party / fancy dress ball. Let 'em dress like their role models: gangstas and pimps.

Young man, firstly congratulations. The first photo provided by Man of Lint is your most traditional look, of all the photos provided. It's classic. I wouldn't wear that same shirt (it's winged-tipped) because that's one for waiters. Wear this tuxedo if 1) you want to impress your date and her parents, and 2) you don't want your parents to ridicule you years later when they pull out the photos to show your fiancé. Get a vest/waistcoat instead of a cummerbund. Your pocket square can be a simple yet elegant white linen. Don't worry about traditional evening pumps/slipper because all your friends will razz you. A pair of well-shined black lace-up shoes will work fine - with a round tie rather than a square or pointy one. If you get a haircut get it two weeks before prom. Let your date choose the corsage she wants but YOU order it and pick it up; shows thoughtfulness. Brush up on common etiquette such as knowing which side of you the lady walks, opening doors, etc.

Have a great night. Don't drive under the influence. Don't ride w/ someone who is.

Last edited:

johnvw

Reaction score

C'mon geezers, the kid is 17 or 18. I suspect most of the lads at the prom will be wearing black shirts & black/blue/grey striped/pattern tie. Many of 'em will arrive in giant white Hummer limousines. Vomit will be everywhere. I don't know why we expect kids to follow the evening wear rules when for almost all involved this is a costume party / fancy dress ball. Let 'em dress like their role models: gangstas and pimps.
Young man, firstly congratulations. The first photo provided by Man of Lint is your most traditional look, of all the photos provided. It's classic. I wouldn't wear that same shirt (it's winged-tipped) because that's one for waiters. Wear this tuxedo if 1) you want to impress your date and her parents, and 2) you don't want your parents to ridicule you years later when they pull out the photos to show your fiancé. Get a vest/waistcoat instead of a cummerbund. Your pocket square can be a simple yet elegant white linen. Don't worry about traditional evening pumps/slipper because all your friends will razz you. A pair of well-shined black lace-up shoes will work fine - with a round tie rather than a square or pointy one. If you get a haircut get it two weeks before prom. Let your date choose the corsage she wants but YOU order it and pick it up; shows thoughtfulness. Brush up on common etiquette such as knowing which side of you the lady walks, opening doors, etc.
Have a great night. Don't drive under the influence. Don't ride w/ someone who is.

Overall, this is great advice, especially the last paragraph. The one comment with which I disagree is the one about a wing-collared shirt. (Not wing-tipped; wing tips are shoes :D). They are not only for waiters. They can look elegant if worn well, with the collar points behind the bow tie. (Traditionally, a long tie should not be worn with a tuxedo.) Not to be pedantic, but I think the comment on shoes should read, wear a round toe shoe, not a round tie.
Again, may the night go well!

Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ C'mon m8, I'm like 9 beers in. But wing-collared shirts are for waiters. Now, to me car and on to the roads!

johnvw

Reaction score
I just noticed that all of the tuxedos pictured so far have notch lapels. Traditionally, a tuxedo jacket should be one-button, with peak lapels. (See, e.g., www.blacktieguide.com.) Currently, the two-button, notch lapel style is more popular. If you want to stand out somewhat from the other guys at the prom, you may choose the former; if you had rather blend in more, choose the latter. It's your call.
Although someone has pointed out that apparently you didn't research the forums here before posting your questions, you should receive points for turning to SF for advice in this area. Again, welcome to SF!

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, reconsidering.... nope, wing-collared shirts are still for waiters. ;)

I'm home safely in me bed.

Good catch on the notch lapels.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oi music man, who's the lady in the bath tub? Good looking, fit bird.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score

All of these prom threads made me, unfortunately, recall my prom where I wore a rented tuxedo that fit like it was my dads. Also, I did not (and my date sure as hell did not) look like the people in the picture (particularly the last one...). Oh and I wore a freakin' mandarin collar shirt with a horrendous shiny top button to my then-girlfriend's prom -- similar to this:

So, I think I'm trying to echo what Curzon said above -- just go have fun and wear whatever you want, because lord knows your tie will be undone mid-way through the night, the shirt untucked, and a good amount of your suit will be covered in spilled kamikaze shots and/or mike's hard lemonade (or any combination thereof...) :slayer:

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Prom? Sorry no experience here, nobody ever wanted to go with me so I just sat at home and played World of Warcraft.
Anyways, IF I where to have gone to prom, I think I would have worn a black tuxedo with a silk bow tie. If you wanted to look a little more dashing or outstanding maybe a white tux jacket and black pants with shoes that could double for mirrors. But IMO Prom is overrated just go rent a tux. However...since you already bought your clothes then there is no point in asking, your pretty much going to have to wear what you bought.

MelchiorSon

Reaction score

Thank You for the support. I always dress a bit edgy, mostly darker colors - they suit me. I usually get compliments on the way I dress - I am usually the best dressed at events. I am also the vice president of the student council at my school, so I need to look the part - I have some duties to attend to that night.

although not the same jacket it is the same charcoal shade,

mexx-suit-jacket-black.jpg

Thanks again for the support, MelchiorSon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads