1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I Need Help with Prom!!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MelchiorSon, Apr 9, 2012.

1. MelchiorSon

MelchiorSon New Member

Hey y'all,

I am having a little trouble!

I have what I want to wear, (except a pocket square) I just dont know if it is alright to wear.
    I have a slim fit charcoal grey suit, black shirt, a black/blue/grey striped/pattern tie.
    Is that alright? Also what kind of pocket square should I go with (ie. color, fabric, fold)

Please, I need someones opinion!

MelchiorSon

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

This is a nonsense. Your first post and it is obvious that you have not even troubled to use the search function or do any research here. Proms and pocket squares are subjects which have been covered frequently and your's must be the 3rd or 4th on Proms in two weeks.

The only opinion I will offer is that you are idle and incapable of even trying to help yourself. That does not bode well.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. Nikias

Nikias Active Member

No, a black shirt and tie will look atrocious.

If you are not going to wear a dinner jacket then at least wear a white shirt (or any colour lighter than the tie) with your charcoal suit. Your choice of tie does not sound very tasteful either from the limited description, but I cannot say for certain without a picture. A white linen handkerchief would be a safe bet, but it does depend on the rest of the outfit.

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

grey suit
    solid black tie
    white cotton pocket square

done

5. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Must be prom season...

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Welcome to Styleforum.
    Wear a white or off-white shirt to contrast the dark suit. Your overall appearance should be clean, elegant and mature.
    Here are a few quick photos for reference or rough guidline.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please post photos of all of your black shoes and we will tell you which pair to wear.
    We await.

7. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

Heavy.

8. joeman

joeman Senior member

Don't go all dark for prom, contrast the dark suit with a light shirt, patterned tie

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

We need some pics in this thread...

10. collin9338

collin9338 Member

A picture of me and my prom just because lol

[​IMG]

11. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

The man in all those pictures are unflattering man.... MOL I thought there are better pictures to use

note the women :slayer:

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

GTFO.

13. Maegnus

Maegnus Well-Known Member

+1

Black shirt is not a good look, and that tie sounds too informal for the occasion. I also say solid white shirt (with french cuffs if possible) and a solid black tie. I was just wearing this combo with a slim charcoal suit last weekend and got a ton of compliments (one of my friends stopped me and said it was the sharpest suit he'd ever seen).

14. razl

razl Senior member

[​IMG]

15. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I agree with all of the posters who have said to go grey-suit, light shirt etc.

However :devil:, if you're dead set on a dark shirt in your outfit, then look to the master and originator of that look, George Raft, for inspiration. Go dark shirt, light suit, light tie (if you happen to have them lying around). Raft was well-regarded in the 30s as a great dresser, but was more or less associated with the underworld for most of his life. As a close friend of several gangsters and someone whose style was emulated by gangsters, Raft's frequent use of the dark-shirt, light shirt/tie combination unfortunately got a bad rap from which it has never recovered.

I'm not sure your prom is the place to try and bring it back - unless you want to be well-dressed and look a bit unsavory . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    C'mon geezers, the kid is 17 or 18. I suspect most of the lads at the prom will be wearing black shirts & black/blue/grey striped/pattern tie. Many of 'em will arrive in giant white Hummer limousines. Vomit will be everywhere. I don't know why we expect kids to follow the evening wear rules when for almost all involved this is a costume party / fancy dress ball. Let 'em dress like their role models: gangstas and pimps.

Young man, firstly congratulations. The first photo provided by Man of Lint is your most traditional look, of all the photos provided. It's classic. I wouldn't wear that same shirt (it's winged-tipped) because that's one for waiters. Wear this tuxedo if 1) you want to impress your date and her parents, and 2) you don't want your parents to ridicule you years later when they pull out the photos to show your fiancé. Get a vest/waistcoat instead of a cummerbund. Your pocket square can be a simple yet elegant white linen. Don't worry about traditional evening pumps/slipper because all your friends will razz you. A pair of well-shined black lace-up shoes will work fine - with a round tie rather than a square or pointy one. If you get a haircut get it two weeks before prom. Let your date choose the corsage she wants but YOU order it and pick it up; shows thoughtfulness. Brush up on common etiquette such as knowing which side of you the lady walks, opening doors, etc.

Have a great night. Don't drive under the influence. Don't ride w/ someone who is.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  17. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Overall, this is great advice, especially the last paragraph. The one comment with which I disagree is the one about a wing-collared shirt. (Not wing-tipped; wing tips are shoes :D). They are not only for waiters. They can look elegant if worn well, with the collar points behind the bow tie. (Traditionally, a long tie should not be worn with a tuxedo.) Not to be pedantic, but I think the comment on shoes should read, wear a round toe shoe, not a round tie.
    Again, may the night go well!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  18. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    ^ C'mon m8, I'm like 9 beers in. But wing-collared shirts are for waiters. Now, to me car and on to the roads!

19. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

I just noticed that all of the tuxedos pictured so far have notch lapels. Traditionally, a tuxedo jacket should be one-button, with peak lapels. (See, e.g., www.blacktieguide.com.) Currently, the two-button, notch lapel style is more popular. If you want to stand out somewhat from the other guys at the prom, you may choose the former; if you had rather blend in more, choose the latter. It's your call.
    Although someone has pointed out that apparently you didn't research the forums here before posting your questions, you should receive points for turning to SF for advice in this area. Again, welcome to SF!

20. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Please don't! Reconsider!