• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need help with Oxxford

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Those of you who wear both italian suits and Oxxford - Gibbons model side vent suits, can you tell me some of the noticeble differences in terms of fitting? Are Oxxford Gibbons made for older gents who have some belly? I have some belly, but still on flat side.

Thanks

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Hi guys.

Those of you who wear both italian suits and Oxxford - Gibbons model side vent suits, can you tell me some of the noticeble differences in terms of fitting? Are Oxxford Gibbons made for older gents who have some belly? I have some belly, but still on flat side.

Thanks

I find the difference to be more in the shoulder than the chest or waist of the coat. The Gibbons has a more structured shoulder with heavier padding than the corresponding Isaia, Borrelli or Kiton. Brioni, save one or two models, will have shoulders more akin to the Gibbons.

I should also note that the lapel on the Oxxford will not roll in the same way that Italians do.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoot. Heavy shoulder padding turns me off. I guess I am interested in Oxxford mainly for 2 reasons:

1) One of the best hand mande suits in the world, if not the best.
2) O.K price on eBay.

But, my heart and desire is really set for Attolini, however. But I cannot seem to find right Attolini suits on Ebay.

Also, not to hijack my own thread, .. why is Attolini coat rather longer than other napolitian suits?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might give the Radcliffe model a try, as it has the softest should of any Oxxford that I've tried. But, it sounds like Isaia might be perfect for you. Great fabrics, a lot of hand work and super soft shoulders. Isaia takes up the greatest space in my closet for these reasons.

Can't help you on Attolini as I don't own any.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup Isaia and Corneliani fit the best on my shoulders.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I have one Isaia that fits very trim (made for European market?) at 56L, having narrower shoulders (but I think it was made to fit as a trimmer shoulder) and a slightly narrower waist than my 43L Gibbons, shown here:

easter.jpg

I don't think Gibbons are necessarily made for an overweight gentleman; I am 26, and not rotund... yet.

There is definitely more shoulder padding on the Gibbons compared to the Isaia, but not overwhelmingly so; I have fairly square shoulders to begin with, so the shoulder you see there isn't as built up as it looks. I think the lapels are quite nice on the Oxxford, although I think it does roll differently. But I actually prefer this roll to the Isaia I have. Personal preferences, I suppose. Hope that helps a little; if I have time, I'll try to post the Isaia suit over the weekend.

ranchsooner

Reaction score
I have the Oxxford Crest and while it is not Isaia, etc, it looks the best on me compared to the other Oxxford models. There are a couple on ebay as well right now, I'm thinking in a 44L

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the Radcliffe model suggestion; it's a very nice, clean cut with wondeful roped shoulders.

koji

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranchsooner
I have the Oxxford Crest and while it is not Isaia, etc, it looks the best on me compared to the other Oxxford models. There are a couple on ebay as well right now, I'm thinking in a 44L

The Oxxford Crest works well for me, too. It has slightly roped shoulders and looks to me like a conservative interpretation of Brioni. Here's a picture of the silhouette:

ranchsooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
The Oxxford Crest works well for me, too. It has slightly roped shoulders and looks to me like a conservative interpretation of Brioni. Here's a picture of the silhouette:

Thinman,

Between the Saks and Oxxford Crest suits and who knows what else, we must have similar tastes.
wow.gif

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
The thing about the Gibbons being made for "older gents" is nonesense.

I would characterize it as a traditional, American coat some some shoulder structure and some suppression.

According to my friends at the Oxxford Store it is the easiest model to alter. E.g., you can raise the armhole whereas models with a higher armhole do not allow this.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when is someone gonna buy a radcliff and post pix here? really want to see that one.

here is an example of the Gibbons on me; i could stand to lose a a pound or two when the pic was taken. tho:

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish more Radcliffes would hurry up and make it to ebay. I've only ever seen one, and it was some huge size IIRC.

gefinzi

Reaction score
I own Oxxford coats/suits in Manhattan and Gibbons models and have tried Radcliffe and Crest.
The Manhattan has nice soft shoulders with a reasonably high arm hole but a low gorge I don't like.
I very much like the Gibbons body and higher gorge (with somewhat narrower lapel), but the shoulders are too padded and a bit too wide for my taste on RTW coats. I solved this problem with my last MTM purchase by having a Gibbons body made with a Manhattan shoulder. It worked out very well and is the closest thing in Oxxford I have encountered to compare with my Italian suits. Of course one pays for this service and it doesn't show up on Ebay (and I'm a fan of Ebay).
I tried on the Radcliffe with high expectations but was disappointed. It is cut narrow with a high gorge and thin lapels but the shoulders are actually signficantly padded...probably even more than the Gibbons. I like a higher button stance, but it was too high on the Radcliffe, similar to some Isaia's where the middle button hits me 3 inches above my navel. Overall I didn't like the feel of the coat, either. The shoulders on the Crest are wide and fairly well padded and so it is not for me.
My favorite suits are Attolini and Barbera made by Attolini. Soft shoulder with roping that somehow retains structure with a "pagoda" appearance. Perhaps better on a suit than a sportscoat. St. Andrews makes great shoulders on Purple Label coats. Isaia are nice but perhaps a little too soft with a very unstructured feel. Kiton generally in-between and also very nice.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The people at the Oxxford store described the Radcliffe to me as much more continental than soft shouldered. I think that it looked like Brioni rather than an Attolini or Kiton which is much softer and rounder through the shoulder line. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

I think that Oxxford makes really nice clothes, but that their styling leaves a lot to be desired.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads