• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need help fitting in Alfred Sargent in comparison with C&J

dlareg_vrn

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I wish to learn about fitting F (AS) is identical with fitting E (C&J) or not?
I wish to buy Alfred Sargent Quorn (size 7F, last 89). to look Quorn
I have C&J Aldwych (size 7E) and C&J Savile (7E, last 337). Whether will be convenient in Alfred Sargent Quorn for me?

Will appreciate any guidance.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know they will both be UK widths so F will normally be wider than E, unless AS run narrow or anything like that, hopefully someone else will be able to clarify that...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
As far as I know they will both be UK widths so F will normally be wider than E, unless AS run narrow or anything like that, hopefully someone else will be able to clarify that...

From my limited experience (one pair from each) the C&J E width is pretty similar to the AS F width - both are medium width. Obviously last shape will play a part.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F is sargent's medium width. I believe, for some reason, they mark wide shoes as "EX" . It is extremely difficult to compare lasts because Sargent's lasts are not well known. you will have to take a guess.

I would get the same size as CJs, meaning get 7F. mainly because you have no other info to go on.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
My experience with Alfred Sargent and C&J is that an AS F is much wider and fuller fitting than a C&J E. I can wear a C&J E and own the Radstock. I tried an AS F shoe made on the 89 last, and it was way too wide, especially in the heel area. A UK retailer once told me that Alfred Sargent shoes in an F width do run rather wide.

Alfred Sargent makes some shoes in a UK EE width. These shoes I find are about the same or even a little narrower than a US D width.

A UK EX width (fitting) is between an E and an F.

Hope this helps.

Jess

bartil

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the Loake F-width is compared with AS and C&J? Generally speaking.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
I tried the Loake Norwich in an F width. It was very wide. I would say the fit was about the same as an Alfred Sargent F width.

Jess

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bartil
Does anyone know how the Loake F-width is compared with AS and C&J? Generally speaking.

I find Loake to be about a quarter-half size larger than AS/C&J - not proportionately wider just a bit larger

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Guys

Looking for size advice on AS. Do most American buyers go down a full size or half size with Alfred Sargent? I am interested in the Aldeburgh which is on Last 104 and a Fitting EE as well as the wholecut Tavistock which is on Last 99 which has a fitting F. I am concerned the latter will be too wide for me and the wholecut nature of the Tavistock combined with a wide fitting will make creasing even worse.

I am a US10C/D and I went down a half size with some Loake 1880 (on Capital last) and wish I had gone down a full size. In C&J last 348 I am a 9E but this is an elongated last. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Sorry to bump but hoping for some advice on Alfred Sargent sizing. Does one go down a full or half size in Alfred Sargent?

emptym

Reaction score
I would think the 9E in AS too would fit you best. But you might email AS to confirm.

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Hoping an experienced US-based Alfred Sargent customer reads this and can recommend based on experience

Chay at AS is recommending 1/2 size difference (so 10US is 9.5UK). I am still unsure as I have relatively narrow feet, one foot is a straight C and one is borderline C/D. C&J 348 I am a 9E UK, Loake Mayfair a 9F UK, Loake Capital last I got 9.5F UK but I am probably in-between that and a 9F.

The Tavistock is a wholecut on Last 99 made in a fitting F and would hate for it to be too big as that would exaggerate creasing and Last 104 (used for Chatham, Greenwich, Aldeburgh) is in Fitting EE is supposedly similar to the Loake Capital last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads