• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need black slip on dress shoes under 250

GucciMonster

Reaction score
I need some durable, high quality black slip on shoes to wear with a suit. In Canada, it seems like people exclusively wear slip ons (maybe because they are easy to work with)

I bought these on a whim because they were listed as being fully water proof,
1204617-p-DETAILED.jpg

They're J&M from Jos A. Banks & to be used as as winter beaters.

Please advise me a higher quality slip on for the summer.

Thanks in advance. GM

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
I need some durable, high quality black slip on shoes to wear with a suit. In Canada, it seems like people exclusively wear slip ons (maybe because they are easy to work with)

I bought these on a whim because they were listed as being fully water proof,
1204617-p-DETAILED.jpg

They're J&M from Jos A. Banks & to be used as as winter beaters.

Please advise me a higher quality slip on for the summer.

Thanks in advance. GM

There are definitely higher quality, and ASTHETICALLY BETTER LOOKING shoes out there, but may not be waterproof.

BOX TOE is not SF approved

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't "slip-on dress shoe" a bit of an oxymoron? If it's a slip-on, then it's not really a dress shoe.

Anyway, I would recommend a loafer of some sort from any one of the reputable makers that are constantly discussed on this forum. AE makes some perfectly nice penny loafers, and C&J too though they're a bit more than $250.

I would probably get them in brown as well, especially if they're for summer, but that's up to you.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suggest avoiding shoes by your namesake.

Surely there is a better looking shoe out there than that J&M. That toe is rather dated ... and wasn't exactly attractive even when it was a la page.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget the black slip on. You want to look like every other clueless 20-30 year old with no sense of style? If you must have black, get black, but I suggest brown.. Goes with much more. Buy yourself a pair of Allen Edmonds Bluchers and throw some rubber topy soles on them. Make them your beater. Then, once you catch the shoe bug that so many of us seem to have, start buying some nice dress shoes. And then cry when you have no more money

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Forget the black slip on. You want to look like every other clueless 20-30 year old with no sense of style? If you must have black, get black, but I suggest brown.. Goes with much more. Buy yourself a pair of Allen Edmonds Bluchers and throw some rubber topy soles on them. Make them your beater. Then, once you catch the shoe bug that so many of us seem to have, start buying some nice dress shoes. And then cry when you have no more money

I have great swag as is and i'm the youngest by 10 years when I work so I stand out as it is. I really don't want to make too much of a statement through my clothing.

I'm looking for something similar to my dated look but in much higher quality. (box toe is preferred) Any help is appreciated.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
(box toe is preferred)
facepalm.gif

Allen Edmonds melrose in black. If they're discontinued, check ebay.

southbound35

Reaction score
I have great swag as is and i'm the youngest by 10 years when I work so I stand out as it is. I really don't want to make too much of a statement through my clothing.

I'm looking for something similar to my dated look but in much higher quality. (box toe is preferred) Any help is appreciated.

You asked for advice on black loafers and alluded to the fact the ones you bought were of lesser quality. People offered advice and your reply is you want the look of lesser quality at a higher price.

There is a reason higher end brands don't make a shoe in that style. If you like that look, stick with J&M, Kenneth Cole, and the like. But, if you truly want a better quality shoe than the J&M you posted, listen to the advice being offered. You're not going to "make too much of a statement" by wearing less blobby black loafers.

At the $250 price point, the best bang for your buck is Allen Edmonds. If you prefer a rubber sole, this style doesn't look too bad.

3802.jpg

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Colorval=Black

Coldcava

Reaction score
I don't think this is a very SF approved brand.. but I've had these for a few years, they've held up very well and are as comfortable as any shoe I've owned. Unfortunately, you'll need some sort of sale to get these in your price range - although, I've seen them marked down, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities..

Bruno Magli Raging slip on's.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have great swag as is

(box toe is preferred)

It is impossible to have swagger while wearing box/square-toed shoes. They are like swagger kryptonite. Please instead buy shoes which don't make you look like a unfashionable man-child.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt makes some square-toed shoes, if you must....

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Another vote for brown and against box toe and for wearing low cut rubbers.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
It is impossible to have swagger while wearing box/square-toed shoes. They are like swagger kryptonite. Please instead buy shoes which don't make you look like a unfashionable man-child.

+1!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads