• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I need black slip on dress shoes under 250

GucciMonster

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
127
Reaction score
1
I need some durable, high quality black slip on shoes to wear with a suit. In Canada, it seems like people exclusively wear slip ons (maybe because they are easy to work with)

I bought these on a whim because they were listed as being fully water proof,

They're J&M from Jos A. Banks & to be used as as winter beaters.

Please advise me a higher quality slip on for the summer.

Thanks in advance. GM
 

ginlimetonic

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
786
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
I need some durable, high quality black slip on shoes to wear with a suit. In Canada, it seems like people exclusively wear slip ons (maybe because they are easy to work with)

I bought these on a whim because they were listed as being fully water proof,

They're J&M from Jos A. Banks & to be used as as winter beaters.

Please advise me a higher quality slip on for the summer.

Thanks in advance. GM


There are definitely higher quality, and ASTHETICALLY BETTER LOOKING shoes out there, but may not be waterproof.

BOX TOE is not SF approved
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
131
Isn't "slip-on dress shoe" a bit of an oxymoron? If it's a slip-on, then it's not really a dress shoe.

Anyway, I would recommend a loafer of some sort from any one of the reputable makers that are constantly discussed on this forum. AE makes some perfectly nice penny loafers, and C&J too though they're a bit more than $250.

I would probably get them in brown as well, especially if they're for summer, but that's up to you.
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,051
Reaction score
312
I suggest avoiding shoes by your namesake.


Surely there is a better looking shoe out there than that J&M. That toe is rather dated ... and wasn't exactly attractive even when it was a la page.
 

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,383
Reaction score
7
Forget the black slip on. You want to look like every other clueless 20-30 year old with no sense of style? If you must have black, get black, but I suggest brown.. Goes with much more. Buy yourself a pair of Allen Edmonds Bluchers and throw some rubber topy soles on them. Make them your beater. Then, once you catch the shoe bug that so many of us seem to have, start buying some nice dress shoes. And then cry when you have no more money
 

GucciMonster

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
127
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Forget the black slip on. You want to look like every other clueless 20-30 year old with no sense of style? If you must have black, get black, but I suggest brown.. Goes with much more. Buy yourself a pair of Allen Edmonds Bluchers and throw some rubber topy soles on them. Make them your beater. Then, once you catch the shoe bug that so many of us seem to have, start buying some nice dress shoes. And then cry when you have no more money

I have great swag as is and i'm the youngest by 10 years when I work so I stand out as it is. I really don't want to make too much of a statement through my clothing.

I'm looking for something similar to my dated look but in much higher quality. (box toe is preferred) Any help is appreciated.
 

Chargersfan

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
278
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
(box toe is preferred)


Allen Edmonds melrose in black. If they're discontinued, check ebay.
 

southbound35

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
38
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
I have great swag as is and i'm the youngest by 10 years when I work so I stand out as it is. I really don't want to make too much of a statement through my clothing.

I'm looking for something similar to my dated look but in much higher quality. (box toe is preferred) Any help is appreciated.


You asked for advice on black loafers and alluded to the fact the ones you bought were of lesser quality. People offered advice and your reply is you want the look of lesser quality at a higher price.

There is a reason higher end brands don't make a shoe in that style. If you like that look, stick with J&M, Kenneth Cole, and the like. But, if you truly want a better quality shoe than the J&M you posted, listen to the advice being offered. You're not going to "make too much of a statement" by wearing less blobby black loafers.

At the $250 price point, the best bang for your buck is Allen Edmonds. If you prefer a rubber sole, this style doesn't look too bad.



http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Colorval=Black
 

Coldcava

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
124
Reaction score
19
I don't think this is a very SF approved brand.. but I've had these for a few years, they've held up very well and are as comfortable as any shoe I've owned. Unfortunately, you'll need some sort of sale to get these in your price range - although, I've seen them marked down, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities..

Bruno Magli Raging slip on's.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
131
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
I have great swag as is

(box toe is preferred)


It is impossible to have swagger while wearing box/square-toed shoes. They are like swagger kryptonite. Please instead buy shoes which don't make you look like a unfashionable man-child.
 

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
1,136
Reaction score
3
Charles Tyrwhitt makes some square-toed shoes, if you must....
 

Mr. Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2010
Messages
414
Reaction score
1
Another vote for brown and against box toe and for wearing low cut rubbers.
 

D Yizz

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2010
Messages
574
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
It is impossible to have swagger while wearing box/square-toed shoes. They are like swagger kryptonite. Please instead buy shoes which don't make you look like a unfashionable man-child.

+1!
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 14 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 63 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 121 33.0%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 64 17.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 26 7.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 21 5.7%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 6 1.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 22 6.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,406
Messages
9,198,451
Members
193,185
Latest member
noo

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top