• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need an inexpensive chelsea boot

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the Charles Tyrwhitt recommendation but may I also suggest R.M. Williams boots from Australia. Yes, I am from Australia myself but I must confess to never having heard of them until I learnt about them from SF and AAAC (I am ashamed to say) where their construction has been compared favourably to the very finest. I mention them because the dollar conversion strongly favours the US buyer and I appreciate that cost is an issue for you. This might let you buy a much dressier boot than if you brought an English or Italian boot given that the pound/Euro conversion will work against you. You can even get them custom made for you at prices that are astonishingly good. To roughly convert Australian dollars (AUD) to USD you can just take off 25% from the AUD value though they have online conversion available.

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/
http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/

Of course the fact that they are from Australia makes them a bit exotic too, but as far as build quality goes for these hand made boots, it really is very good indeed.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/sun Courtesy of Jovan
You're quite welcome.
smile.gif
I think I may be the only one who has a physical CT catalogue in these boards; it has the URL for that offer on the summer issue.

Lino

Reaction score
How does Tyrwhitts compate to AE in general?

I'm in the market for an oxford and I would be hard pressed to find an Oxford for $122.50.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake is similar to AE in terms of quality. I'm however, not sure if all Tyrwhitt shoes are from Loake.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Loake is similar to AE in terms of quality. I'm however, not sure if all Tyrwhitt shoes are from Loake.

Basic Loake, i.e., the $122.50's, is below AE in quality. They're corrected grain, for one.

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Basic Loake, i.e., the $122.50's, is below AE in quality. They're corrected grain, for one.

That would be $122.50 on sale at 50%, regular retail is $245 at Tyrwhitt's.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
That would be $122.50 on sale at 50%, regular retail is $245 at Tyrwhitt's.

yeah, i know.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, since nobody commented on those Alfred Sargents I linked, I just went ahead and ordered the Tyrwhitt (Loake?) Chelsea boots for $148 shipped. I usually wear a size 11E, which is a little tight on my right foot. So, I ordered these in a US 10.5 G-fit. Is this even going to fit (I ordered the G-fit because US E-width shoes are stil a little tight on me, and I ordered the 10.5 because US size 11 shoes, which I usually wear, are usually a tad too long and these run a little long anyway).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Well, since nobody commented on those Alfred Sargents I linked, I just went ahead and ordered the Tyrwhitt (Loake?) Chelsea boots for $148 shipped. I usually wear a size 11E, which is a little tight on my right foot. So, I ordered these in a US 10.5 G-fit. Is this even going to fit (I ordered the G-fit because US E-width shoes are stil a little tight on me, and I ordered the 10.5 because US size 11 shoes, which I usually wear, are usually a tad too long and these run a little long anyway).
I'm very confused, but if I did the math right, I think you will be all right. Remember, if one is just slightly tight, these are basically wholecut (the front anyway) so they will respond well to stretching.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I'm very confused, but if I did the math right, I think you will be all right. Remember, if one is just slightly tight, these are basically wholecut (the front anyway) so they will respond well to stretching.

Basically, a US 11E is a little tight and a little long on me, so I ordered a UK 10G Loake Chelsea.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Basically, a US 11E is a little tight and a little long on me, so I ordered a UK 10G Loake Chelsea.
I think you will be good.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Including the famous chelseas? I haven't seen that in any of the reviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads