• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a very comfortable glasses - Any Suggestions?

magoood

Reaction score
Hi
I depend on eyeglasses all the time (a little myopia + little astigmatism= a little bit bad vision) and I can't do lasik or lasek treatments because of personal fear and also shortage of money. I was never happy with all my past purchases of eyeglasses because e.g. when I tried my current eyelgasses out in the shop, it was Ok and fine for the small period I tried it but wearing it all the day revealed to me that it bother me and puts some sort of stress on my nose and ears especially in my hot country (Egypt) which is full of humid

Now, I don't mind shelling more money to buy a brand name eyeglasses with the following specs:
1) To be rectangular in shape with a little bit large area (since my eyes are a little bit big so my vision usually comes out of the frame very easily if the frame's area is considerably small).

2) Having THE MINIMUM amount of pressure on my nose, the 2 sides of my face and ears.

3) It can be Full frame or half-frame - It doesn't matter - but I hate rimless ones as the lenses has to be thicker for endurance.

4) Regarding color, It can be black, grey or whatever suits me as a male.

I'd appreciate your kind recommendations because I don't want to spend a lot of money again on something that I feel like I need to change later on!

Also I'd appreciate a lot of your recommendations on the lenses. In my current glasses, I tried out the highest quality plastics in Egypt and I paid a lot for it (from "Hoya") but still it got lots of tiny scratches that I can spot (because I'm very meticulous) despite of my extra care with my glasses regarding cleaning...etc

I'd like to be advised about the highest quality lens glass I can have.

Thank you in advance and really hope that your recommendations will save me from wasting a lot of money just because I want to see well with minimal feelings that I really wear something onto my face.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you're looking for what is comfortable to you, only you could answer that. better go to your trusted optometrist and try the glasses out. your head size, distance between your eyes, nose, etc... will play a huge part in getting to know what pair will be comfortable to you. but with most glasses, they can also be tweaked a little bit as long as the person who does this knows what he's doing. as for lens, afaik there is no lens that are totally scratchproof. ime i just get the lightest coated and glare-free plastic lens of good quality that i can get and take very good care of them.

Tardek

Reaction score
I wear serengeti sunglasses and have done for year. They're slightly rectangular, fully framed, and stylin'. You might find the lenses a little small for your monster-eyes though, I'm not sure.

Median

Reaction score
I also have astigmatism and an aversion to heavy frames - try Lindberg titanium

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of SwissFlex made. They're exceptionally light. Here's the website, if you'd like to browse their designs: http://www.swissflex-eyewear.com/home.htm I was browsing the other day and also tried on a half-frame pair of Alain Mikli's that were quite light, too. Just thought the designs were a bit too ostentatious for my liking, but they were nice, too.

Crooow

Reaction score
Definitely check out Mykita. I have several pairs of different glasses (from different makers) that I switch out, depending upon what I'm wearing and what I'm looking to do that day. However, if I want the pair that makes me completely forget that I'm wearing anything on my face, I put on my Mykita Roccos. So lightweight that you really don't feel them, no pressure on my nose, and (so I'm told) unbreakable.

Of course, no guarantee that this model is the right fit for you, but the line is definitely one to consider.

jyook

Reaction score
I have bad astigmatism and hate heavy frames... I wear Lindberg Strip Titanium with high index lenses... I forget I'm wearing glasses at all they are so light...

In my experience, all lenses will scratch over time... High index lenses are very light and thin compared to polycarbonate which I think are more scratch resistant (I'm not totally sure but know that will also eventually scratch)...

Other choices I'd go with:
IC Berlin
Mykita

magoood

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your valuable suggestions which I appreciate a lot. Since most of you recommended Mykita, I'll check it as a first priority but I have the challenge of finding this expensive brand here in Egypt!. I'm afraid that I'll finally have to order it online even though I'm quite anxious of this way of buying frames because the frames may look very good in pictures on the web but after paying a lot of money, I may have problems when it's actually on my face. I wish I can find a way to try these frames before I buy it!

Cordovan

Reaction score
These were popular a few years ago, but rimless glasses are never out. I have a pair of Silhouette glasses. You can choose any shape you wish for the lenses and they are the lightest and most comfortable pair I have ever worn.

Cordovan

Lucky7

Reaction score
I wear frames made by a company called OGI. www.ogiframes.com. Their new website is coming Feb 2009. I love these frames, they are the most comfortable pair of glasses I have. I alternate throughout the week depending on the outfit, but the OGI's are the most comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads