• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a tailor in Boston for my jawnz, crotch repair

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crotch blew out on my jeans and I need some denim reconstructive work. It's the fabric and not the stitching so I don't trust it at my neighborhood hacks at the dry cleaners. I'm in Waltham, MA. Any recommendations appreciated.

awhole.JPG

Kregg

Reaction score
Patch it. It adds character. Especially if you do it yourself.

Also, what kind of jeans are they?

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kregg
Patch it. It adds character. Especially if you do it yourself.

Also, what kind of jeans are they?

Not my style, thanks though.

They're Ande Whall Cougar #001s

Shakermaker

Reaction score
If you really want a quality tailor, I'd take your jeans to Jack at Jack's Tailoring. He's in Porter Sq. (a very short walk from the Porter T stop). He's a little on the expensive side, but I think when it comes to tailoring, you get what you pay for and he always does a superb job. Look him up on Yelp if you need some reviews. Hope this helps.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shakermaker
If you really want a quality tailor, I'd take your jeans to Jack at Jack's Tailoring. He's in Porter Sq. (a very short walk from the Porter T stop). He's a little on the expensive side, but I think when it comes to tailoring, you get what you pay for and he always does a superb job. Look him up on Yelp if you need some reviews. Hope this helps.

+1 on Jacks being pricey and good. He looks over your case very well and makes sure he's doing exactly what you ask.

Another option is Newbury Street Tailors - never used them but I'm told they have a specialty in denim, the girl at Riccardi who loves loves loves nudies recommended them for any kind of work.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I don't understand why jean crotches blow out. I've never heard of that problem IRL. Is there something about raw denim that makes it more susceptible to this?

It is because the raw denim is very rough; when the material rubs together it slowly wears it down. Washed denim is softer.

Take the jeans to a professional tailor rather than doing it yourself. The crotch repair and reinforcement on my Nudie jeans cost $18 w/ tax. I do recommend getting the side that hasn't blown through reinforced or else you will just be running back there in a few weeks.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
It is because the raw denim is very rough; when the material rubs together it slowly wears it down. Washed denim is softer.

Take the jeans to a professional tailor rather than doing it yourself. The crotch repair and reinforcement on my Nudie jeans cost $18 w/ tax. I do recommend getting the side that hasn't blown through reinforced or else you will just be running back there in a few weeks.

Just so the OP knows, while we recommended Jack's in Porter, he is definitely going to be more expensive than $18 for a patch/reinforcement job.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the OP has a sick belt. Where'd you get it from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads