• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a suit... :(

skenic2003

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm 17 years old and unfortunately I'm only 5'8" or 5'9" and my waist is size 28...

I live in Texas Austin, Texas right now.

In two weeks, I go on a cruise and I really want to wear a suit for the formal nights, because I like wearing suits and because I have to buy one for Prom anyways.

My problem is: I was at Dillards and they had a really nice Calvin Klein suit, it was size "S", but it was just a lot to big.
Then I went to Banana Republic and tried their suit in size 36R on, but it was still a little to much.
I have 300$ to spend on a suit including the pants, but I just don't have any idea where to look anymore.
I searched the whole internet, but I couldn't find a suit in 34R and pants in 28/30...

Can someone help me and give me a brand or a shop that's close, where I can get a nice suit (searching for a cholateral pinstripe or black pinstripe) for less than 300$...

Thanks, skenic2003

jomo

Reaction score
You should be able to get a Ralph Lauren for that price. You could also pickup a few others such as the Calvin Klein you mentioned. If I were in Austin my first attempt would be at Neiman Marcus Last Call, since they still have the extra 20% off going on till Monday. After that I would look at Mashalls. Others here who have a ton more experience than me could probably name some other places. My only concern would be keeping it under $300 with the tailoring expense. Unless you find a size that fits you, which it sounds like you are having trouble doing, that may be an extra $100-$150.

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
Just be wary of salespeople and dishonest store tailors. They'll try to stick you in something that's too big.

Hold out for something that fits well-- make sure the shoulders aren't too big, especially.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy anything now. Rent a tux for the prom, dress however you can for the cruise, and buy a suit when you've filled out a little.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
I'm going to get banned or run out of town for saying this so much, but H&M, Zara, or Thick as Thieves (check the thread) is what you need. You'll need a 34 or 36.

Search ebay: H&M Suit. There are at least three black pinstripes I see on there for bid. Do not, I repeat, do NOT get the brown pinstripe.

Oh, and remember: no suit, unless it's made specifically for you for thousands of dollars, will fit you perfectly. Get it tailored

skenic2003

Reaction score
Hey!

Thank you for your advice!
Well, I know that no suit will fit perfectly, except it's made just for you...
But the ones I tried were just to much at the arms, it was too wide on the shoulders..

And @letmebefell:

That's not really an option... The cruise line requires men to wear a suit or something formal on the formal nights... I could wear some pants with a button down shirt, but I just feel much more comfortable in a suit than in that.
Also I would have the same problem with the size when renting a tux...

The last point is, that I like to use the blazer as a normal jacket when it's a little chilli outside.

The Calvin Klein one was really cool, it's my favorite, but it was just too big...
frown.gif

skenic2003

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the notion to rent something. You'll be hard pressed to find something both within your budget and within your 2 week time frame that will look so much better than a rental so as to warrant that option. I think you should wait and be patient and keep looking for now. Have you looked at Zara at the Galleria?

skenic2003

Reaction score
I couldn't find Zara... Can you tell me where I can find Zara Suits around here? I'd like to try them, because I can't find them on the internet either.

skenic2003

skenic2003

Reaction score
Hey!

Yes, I knew that Zara is a store, but I couldn't find any here in Austin... Now I know why - they don't have one in Austin...

Do you know where I can look at Zara Suits on the internet to see, if they have something I like?

The H&M is good-looking, but I don't know, if the pants with the 30" Waist will fit me, because usually I wear 28...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swallow your pride and go to the childrens dept. of Dillards, Nordstrom or Neimans... I've known a few guys that have had to do this because of their size, but it works out for the best.

You can get a brand new suit from abboud or others for under 200, including tailoring. (that is from the average prices at Nordstrom) It won't be of superb quality but it will probably be the best fit and the investment won't be too big, so you can discard it when you fill out...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads