• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a sports watch - help me pick

gusvs

Reaction score
Today I have only one watch, a JLC Master Geographic. A very nice watch indeed, but too dressy for casual wear sometimes.

Now, I am looking at something more sporty. I have two candidates (my budget is up to 4000 EUR):

1. IWC Pilot's Watch Chrono-Automatic (371701) on leather strap or steel bracelet):
IW370603.jpg

2. Panerai Luminor Marina Automatic 40mm (PAM 00048):
47562.jpg

I have considered the 44mm Panerai as well, but I have small wrists, and the 44mm just looks ridiculous on my arm.

Please suggest only one of the two models mentioned above (unless you have a very very good alternative
smile.gif
)

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
I like the Panerai between those two with the cleaner dial.

Might I also suggest an Omega Planet Ocean?

rick

Reaction score
i have and like both iwc, and panerai. i would go for the panerai, great watch and you can change the straps quickly. if you go panerai get the 44mm the size will not be an issue once you where it. as a matter of fact my wife wears one and her wrist is very small.

mdg137

Reaction score
+1 for the Omega Planet Ocean.

Rugged, understated, and the most accurate mechanical watch I have ever owned.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of those two I would immediately pick the IWC (though I'd prefer a standard Mk XVI or XV to the chrono). Having said that, they're such different watches I'm quite surprised at the pairing - you really don't have any instinctive preference to either?

Since you left the door ajar for other suggestions, and obviously like the style of the IWC, I can't not post the Nomos Club:

Afb404.jpg

The 38.5mm version of this watch (they wear a bit larger than other watches the same size) is aesthetic perfection IMHO, however there are larger (40 & 41.5mm) auto versions and a 36mm manual without date.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gusvs
1. IWC Pilot's Watch Chrono-Automatic (371701) on leather strap or steel bracelet):
IW370603.jpg

Please suggest only one of the two models mentioned above (unless you have a very very good alternative
smile.gif
)

- minor detail, that IWC you pictured is a 3706 & it is 39 mm, the 3717 is 42mm & has a red second hand.
- of the 2, I'd go for the IWC
- the bubble date on Panerai never work as well as on the Rolex models

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IWC, I really don't much like a Panny. I'd second (third...fifth?) the Omega PO chrono.

lizmasc

Reaction score
I'm not a watches expert, though from the pics you posted I'd go with your second one, the Panerai Luminor Marina Automatic, it looks the better of the two for casual purposes
smile.gif
smiley2.gif

sfo423

Reaction score
Of those mentioned, the 3717 wins hands down. An Omega Seamaster GMT w/a white face (if you can still find one) really does the trick too. Looks great on strap. Of course, nothing says "**** you" like a Submariner. Or, go a bit more understated with a GMT Master II.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i love my Panerai, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, but by "sports" watch do you mean you need a chronograph? because the model you posted wont fit the bill. but it does look "sporty" so if that's what you meant then it's all good. Panerai gets kind of a bum rap because it's very trendy at the moment, but they are excellent watches and very elegant in their simplicity, imho. as far as other options, what about this?
65-01-02-02-04.jpg

Toorman

Reaction score
I'd vote Panerai as well. If you prefer 40 to 44 that's fine - it's all about what sings to you. After that I would go IWC. Frankly, I don't much care for Omega. They can be had at 40% off of retail at most any AD so they are a decent value but they aren't very inspiring to me. I want a watch I look forward to wearing in the morning not just safe and predictable.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
The IWC pictured is a 3706, not a 3717. You should get a 3706.

agent86a

Reaction score
As others mentioned, you posted a photo of the IWC 3706.

I'm a big fan of the IWC 3717, and their classic Mark XV pilot watch. I'm including photos of both:

3717_001_l.jpg

Mark XV
iwc-mark-xv-automatic.jpg

Good luck deciding!

gusvs

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your inputs! Hmm, seems we have a draw at the moment...
Would anyone say there is any bg difference between the Panerai PAM48 and the IWC 3717 in terms of quality of the movement?

Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Of those two I would immediately pick the IWC (though I'd prefer a standard Mk XVI or XV to the chrono). Having said that, they're such different watches I'm quite surprised at the pairing - you really don't have any instinctive preference to either?

I am actually leaning to the Panerai as of today.

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- minor detail, that IWC you pictured is a 3706 & it is 39 mm, the 3717 is 42mm & has a red second hand.
- of the 2, I'd go for the IWC
- the bubble date on Panerai never work as well as on the Rolex models

Thanks for pointing out. Apprently I did not look too closely on th picture after posting.
Of the 3706 and the 3717, I do prefer the 3717 though, I really like the red second hand and the fact that it is slightly larger than the 3706.

gusvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i love my Panerai, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, but by "sports" watch do you mean you need a chronograph? because the model you posted wont fit the bill. but it does look "sporty" so if that's what you meant then it's all good.

Looking "sporty" is enough for me
smile.gif

Originally Posted by agent86a
As others mentioned, you posted a photo of the IWC 3706.

I'm a big fan of the IWC 3717, and their classic Mark XV pilot watch. I'm including photos of both:

3717_001_l.jpg

Mark XV
iwc-mark-xv-automatic.jpg

Good luck deciding!

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads