• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a new jacket

Inficius

Reaction score
Ok, I already have two jackets, a cheap Walmart jacket (which I hate), and an Old Navy jacket. Both of them feel like an old carpet on the inside, which is obviously uncomfortable. I don't know much about fabrics, but the old Navy jacket says: Shell: 84% COTTON 16% POLYSETER BODY LINING: 100% POLYESTER RN 54023 Just wondering, is that good or bad? Personally, I want to avoid that material and try something new. My friend has a jacket with a smooth, possibly slightly elastic, outside (or "shell") and I really like it, but I don't know what the material is called. Please note that this description may sound similar to another material, which I do not want. For example, have you ever seen the guy walking down the hall, wearing his oversized brightly colored jacket, and as his arms swing the jacket rubs against his sides and it make a rough, distinct sound? I don't want to be that guy.
laugh.gif
Anyways, I've been looking for some new jackets myself, and I like the Windbreaker's, especially the one's without a hood because it looks more casual. I'd like to know what material they use too. Ok, to sum up my questions: What material does my friend's jacket have? What is the material called that I don't want? And what is the material used in Windbreakers? I understand if my descriptions aren't good enough to help. Right now is one of those moments when everything I write just sounds awful. Once I understand the different materials, and then hopefully finding a jacket will be much easier. EDIT: I think this jacket has the material I'm looking for: http://store.americanapparel.net/rsag403.html#i

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try maybe the "soft shell" jackets from columbia (north face has a similar fabric). I have a titanium jacket similar to this from a few years ago: http://www.columbia.com/Product/1/Me...?viewAll=False I love it...water beads up on it and falls off but it has quite a nice feel to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads