• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Need a good tailor in DC. Suggestions?

loveandhate

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'll be working in DC for the next few months and need a good tailor. I almost feel like taking a trip back up to NY to visit Ramon but instead I'll take this time to find a DC tailor that I can be comfortable witj since I'll be spending so much time down here.

All I really need are light alterations to two suits. Any recommendations are appreciated.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people recommend Field's on Wisconsin Avenue north of Georgetown...

Mentos

Reaction score
Field is as good as or better than Ramon--just go there if that's the level of quality you're used to.

As long as we're starting a new thread on an old topic, if anyone here has found a tailor in the downtown area that can do consistently good light work, such as shortening sleeves and hemming pants, please post a name. I went to Imperial on Conn. recently for such work. Total nightmare, from a service standpoint, and the work quality was not much better, even on such simple work (she screwed up the measurements--the pants are still too long). My understanding is that Suaro is going out of business, and using him for hemming was killing a fly with a sledgehammer, anyway.

Years I've been looking, and I have a pile of pants just waiting for me to find a drycleaner, or whatever, that can do decent tailoring. Tailoring and Mexican food--that's where DC falls down.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Some people recommend Field's on Wisconsin Avenue north of Georgetown...

+1.
. . .

Phoenix

Reaction score
There's a woman named Crystal who works at Cobblers & Cleaners (1425 G St NW, Washington, DC --- next door to William Fox & Co.) who I've had shorten sleeves, slim shirts, and hem pants. She does excellent, conscientious work and can turn most things around in a few days. I'd call ahead (202.347.4723) to see when she's in because her hours for measuring and dropoffs vary, although someone is always at the shop for pickups.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phoenix
There's a woman named Crystal who works at Cobblers & Cleaners (1425 G St NW, Washington, DC --- next door to William Fox & Co.) who I've had shorten sleeves, slim shirts, and hem pants. She does excellent, conscientious work and can turn most things around in a few days. I'd call ahead (202.347.4723) to see when she's in because her hours for measuring and dropoffs vary, although someone is always at the shop for pickups.

Good tip, thanks. Anyone else?

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of or used VIP Tailors at 1200 G St, NW. I have looked online and read from reviews they are pretty good.

kryn13

Reaction score
I've used Fields now for a couple of items and his work is great. Pricey but worth it for the right needs. I now need to find a better person to do simple jobs like hemming pants....

migo

Reaction score
how costly is fields? I've been using Do's on wisconsin/M and they're a little pricey...anyone know if fields is more/less?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Tailoring and Mexican food--that's where DC falls down.

Hahah.... I'm in DC from SD and would LOVE a good mexican place!

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Don't get me started on food in DC.

I actually tried to teach myself to sew a blind hem to avoid having trousers hemmed in DC.

It's really that bad.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
how costly is fields? I've been using Do's on wisconsin/M and they're a little pricey...anyone know if fields is more/less?

Fields is more expensive and considerably better.

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Field's and will go back for my most recent suit purchase. He did a fair amount of work on a Brioni of mine last year and I was really happy with the quality of work (aside from the standard hemming, he did some additional work on the seat, waist, jacket sides, sleeve length plus functional buttonholes). He's a pleasure to deal with and a real class act.

Wally

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Field is as good as or better than Ramon--just go there if that's the level of quality you're used to.

Years I've been looking, and I have a pile of pants just waiting for me to find a drycleaner, or whatever, that can do decent tailoring. Tailoring and Mexican food--that's where DC falls down.

Well I can help with finding good Mexican food. Go to El Paso Cafe tucked away on glebe by Route 50 in Arlington. It is by far the best in town - so authentic that they have a picture of the President on the wall and the staff have a look on their face like "Who is this gringo???"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads