• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a casual white shirt.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they ain't cheap....but they ARE suprisingly well made (side reinforcements, cut of the buttonholes/ buttons, really nice shape to the shirt tails, etc.). I believe the shirts are about...gulp....$200+

for a less expensive alternative, you could always check my favorite online store:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopp...roductID=21991

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
they ain't cheap....but they ARE suprisingly well made (side reinforcements, cut of the buttonholes/ buttons, really nice shape to the shirt tails, etc.). I believe the shirts are about...gulp....$200+

for a less expensive alternative, you could always check my favorite online store:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopp...roductID=21991

Yeah, being a student, this is quite expensive. If I do go through with my idea of hitting up NYC in August, I will check if its on sale. MAYBE I would buy it at full retail price if the fit is AMAZING, if not I think I'll pass up on it.

Thanks for the tip!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
Could you tell me about the price of the Thom Browne shirt? Perhaps I'll go to NYC this summer and I, too, need one of these slim-fitting shirt. I bought a really slim-fit Paul Smith trouser and it would look clownish with anything else than a tapered shirt.

Band of Outsiders, Obedient Sons, and Groupe 16sur20 also make slim fit shirts in the order of about $150 (retail) that would fit this bill.

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
From what I've seen HL tend to do slim fitting shirts with larger shoulders than let's say Jil Sander (JL being the brand I have tried on the least pieces of the three, kinda got into it because of SF and love what I got) or Costume, so depending on his shape he might like HL better. You're right that Yoox usually has lots of costume for sale, which might be a good option for MattJames.

I have one Costume National shirt and two more coming from Yoox. I love their designs. They didn't have any white ones that caught my eye, in my size at least. I spend ages on that site. Spent thousands over the past couple of months.

Here are my three choices.

http://www.yoox.com/item/tskay//rr/1...+sleeve+shirts

http://www.yoox.com/item/tskay//cod1...+sleeve+shirts

http://www.yoox.com/item/tskay//cod1...+sleeve+shirts

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to spend that kind of money on shirts from the aforementioned designers, but was never completely satisfied with fit, cut, details, fabric, etc. Going custom - MTM or bespoke - was one of the best decisions I've ever done, and I suggest it highly.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I used to spend that kind of money on shirts from the aforementioned designers, but was never completely satisfied with fit, cut, details, fabric, etc. Going custom - MTM or bespoke - was one of the best decisions I've ever done, and I suggest it highly.

The problem with MTM / bespoke is the fabrics. I know that in theory, the bespoke makers have access to the shirt fabrics before the designers do, but Jil Sander, Margiela, HL fabrics are generally amazing and you can't really ever find them for MTM selections.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very true. It depends what you are looking for. For standard shirts, like white ones, I've not seen any fabric by the designers that beats what can be found in books.

gza

Reaction score
I agree with Brian, especially on Margiela, who seems to work only with unique and quality fabrics. On the other hand, I would doubt that the Costume shirts linked to above are exceptional in that regard. That said, the fit of their shirts is reliably slim.

mattjames

Reaction score
oing custom - MTM or bespoke - was one of the best decisions I've ever done

Pardon my ignorance but I don't have a clue what that means.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
whoopee, what tailor do you use in town? Or is this one of those fashion secrets that is never shared? My morphology is unique and I rarely fit into anything off the rack. Thanks.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've no experience with local shirtmakers. Centofanti's shop does shirts, as do Barton & Donaldson and I think someone named Harris. I believe another forum member has posted his experiences with the latter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads