• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

i need a career change

jaymovement

Reaction score
i work for the government...its slow and the people suck. i need a change quick.

what industry are you in and how do you like it? how did you get there?

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Start your own company - I love it, and can't imagine ever working for someone else. I work crazy hours, but it's for me and my family......I balance my time, I decide what's good enough.

How to do it........find something you are passionate about and has opportunity associated with it, make sure those that are close to you are going to support you, spend a reasonable time educating yourself (I got an MBA), then go out and do it. Accept that you will fail in many of the things you try to do, but realize the walls in front of you are there to stop other people....not you. Persevere.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
jay, i heard alot about govt jobs and i know someone in working for the city in I.T. he gets a decent salary but he sits there doing nothing all day.
for some that is a dream i guess, but i cannot handle that.

if you are in I.T or management why not keep your career but change industry to private sector?
it's more cutthroat but more incentive and bigger challenges.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
keep your job and start something else on the side. If it grows into a real something, then make a change. there is something to be said for the security of that twice-a-month paycheck and a nice benefit package.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now is not a very good time to be hitting the job market...

jaymovement

Reaction score
true...but right now i'm just looking for ideas. trying to see how you all are making a living.

spinoff- how to find a job in a recession?!

jaymovement

Reaction score
sometimes i wonder why i'm not just bartending on a beach or rock climbing in south america. i'm young, single, no kids, and the only thing stopping me from quitting is...MONEY! jeezus is this life?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymovement
i work for the government...its slow and the people suck. i need a change quick.

what industry are you in and how do you like it? how did you get there?

What level of government do you work for? What do you do? The answer to this question will be quite different if you work the front desk at the DMV vs. if you are a policy analyst for CMS.

Star

Reaction score
Some Job Killers at work

i) Lack bigger picture - Whether private or public if your organisation has no medium to long term goals, mission, purpose; then yes it can feel like you are going through the motions.

ii) Morons - Another job killer. Nothing worse than having unmotivated boring work colleagues.

iii) Dumb Manager(s) - This one imho is the worst job satisifaction killer. I have been on the end of a direct dumb manager after having before him probably one of the most inspiring managers I have ever been managed by. A dumb manager frustrates, styfles and drives one up the wall. You can't help but feel nothing other than contempt for such an idiot! The only solution in this case is to pick yourself up and leave (find another job).

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Finding a job in a recession. I wanted to find a side job to keep me busy and have some cash on the side and had no problem. I was able to find employment in the DC area. If you have government experience it is definately a plus. There are jobs out there just have to find them. What industry are you in? What do you do for the government

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 139 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%