1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I miss spinach

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Parker, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does anyone else miss spinach? I never quite noticed it before the ban, but I eat quite a bit of spinach... and now I miss it. Salads, sides, garnishes. Some of my favorite dishes at my favorite restaurants even seemed to use spinach. I've read that many restaurants are substituting arugula, chard, etc. Somehow, it's just not the same.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Me too. I use it as a substitute for lettuce in nearly everything, and it provides many more nutrients than plain ol' Iceberg.

3. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Yes. I loved spinach and rice, too.

4. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

it is for sale again. just cooked some the other day. as long it is not from several counties in cali, you are ok.

5. j

j Senior member

Hey, if you're still stuck without, go find an Asian market and buy Chinese broccoli. It's really great stuff. Not a substitute really, but another great green vegetable with tons of nutrients. Fry it up in a hot pan with a bit of oil then add some water and cover to steam it till done. Top with oyster sauce.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

Hey, if you're still stuck without, go find an Asian market and buy Chinese broccoli. It's really great stuff. Not a substitute really, but another great green vegetable with tons of nutrients. Fry it up in a hot pan with a bit of oil then add some water and cover to steam it till done. Top with oyster sauce.

What is the difference between this and regular broccoli you would find in a standard grocery store?

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

A ban on spinach? WTF?

E Coli bacteria outbreak on raw spinach.

Perhaps a terrorist plot. "Hey Ahmed, I am sick of flying planes into stuff. Lets contaminate their vegetables and give these U-S-and-A bastards the shits!"

9. j

j Senior member

What is the difference between this and regular broccoli you would find in a standard grocery store?
    It's hard to explain what it is, but it's in between broccoli, asparagus, and spinach, sort of. A member of the mustard family.

[​IMG]

10. j

j Senior member

E Coli bacteria outbreak on raw spinach.

Perhaps a terrorist plot. "Hey Ahmed, I am sick of flying planes into stuff. Lets contaminate their vegetables and give these U-S-and-A bastards the shits!"

"This 'Popeye' constitutes a grave threat to Islam. We must poison his source of power!"

11. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Chinese broccoli is great! Thanks for the reminder. I like that and bok choy. I typically like all the cruciferous veggies. I suppose it's a good time to sample all these other greens.

12. sonick

sonick Senior member

Oh, Gai Lan.

Make sure you get fresh ones. When they get stale, the stalks turn bitter.

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

Thanks J. for the explaination (looks really tasty, sauteed with some olive oil and garlic) adn the funny ass joke.

14. j

j Senior member

I do what I can.

15. Flame

Flame Senior member

Chinese brocoli,or Kai Lan as my grandmother calls it, is even better when fried with whole shitake mushrooms, sliced carrots, scallops and dried shrimp.

16. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Oh, Gai Lan.

Make sure you get fresh ones. When they get stale, the stalks turn bitter.

I thought the bitterness was part of the taste [​IMG]