• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I might be associated with watching creepy videos on a company account

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A new employee was transferred to my department and I'm his boss. He's an idiot and there is already a case being built against him to have him fired. I will call him "The Idiot."

Before I worked here, this guy was given the login to an AdWords account. He bombed and lost a bunch of money. He had to stop all the campaigns he created right as I was hired. Soon after I was hired I was given the login info.

Last Friday I handed the login info off to a girl in her early 20s and told her that we would be making ads that day. She was new to it and I told her to look at YouTube tutorial vidoes since that helped me a lot when I first started using AdWords. I launched a campaign that day.

On Saturday I checked the numbers and they were good. I texted the CEO to let him know. Today(Sunday) I log back into the account to see how the numbers are and I also pull up YouTube to play some music. The video suggestions are very strange. I look at the video history and the most recent videos are the AdWords tutorial videos, and below that there is a nigh endless amount of videos of pregnant women in skimpy outfits and videos of pregnant teens(Under 18 kind of teen) and one of a 10 year old girl claimed to be pregnant.

The only people with access to the account are me, the girl, the idiot who I manage now, and the CEO. The CEO is not a very sexual person. I know it was the idiot since he is stupid enough to make a mistake like this, he's a creeper, and I've caught him looking at 4chan at work before before I was his manager. I'm afraid that the CEO might have seen the video history if he was on youtube with the account after I texted him Saturday and think it was me watching all that stuff, or the girl saw it and thought it was me.

I deleted the history and I want to tell the CEO about it just in case he saw it and thought it was me. Then again, I might look insane or like I'm trying to throw the idiot under the bus if I tell the CEO about the videos, he hasn't seen the viewing history, and it no longer exists for him to verify since I've deleted it.

Last edited:

austinite

Reaction score
Wow. Awkward situation. You might want to talk to a lawyer?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tell CEO immediately. you do not want any of this crap to stick to you. you can just show him the facts without necessarily accusing anyone

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

tell CEO immediately. you do not want any of this crap to stick to you. you can just show him the facts without necessarily accusing anyone

agree. Disclose immediately.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell him immediately, you're not doing yourself any favours and he'll only carry on with that kind of behaviour if it isn't reported.

Here's some unasked for advice with regards to PPC as well:

You probably want to be a bit more analytical with your PPC campaigns as well, doing it all in one day doesn't give you much of an opportunity to do any keyword analysis. Could be an opportunity to go through Google's Adwords training at your companies expense.

The Rural Juror

Reaction score
Why do you all share the same account for logging in to AdWords? I would give each person his/her own Google account then grant them access to your AdWords account.

Not only does your shared account create this problem you are experiencing, it will also make it more difficult to track changes to the account.

If you do fire the idiot, you will need to change the password on your account, or the idiot could do serious harm. If he had his own account, you could just revoke his access. I would make sure to do a backup of your account using AdWords Editor.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I told the CEO. He said he had not seen the history. He holds his cards close and had no reaction. He is like this with most anything. I told him what the videos were, though in retrospect I think I think I should have just left it at "inappropriate fetish related content, some of which included girls under 18" or something vague like that. I also told the girl, but did not tell her what the videos were since she works directly with him a lot.

The password to the account will be changed and only myself, the CEO, and the girl will have it. Our company has 3 different services, each service has it's own campaign. The girl manages one, and I have the other two. I like it all on one account so I can check on her campaign when I'm doing my own work.

You probably want to be a bit more analytical with your PPC campaigns as well, doing it all in one day doesn't give you much of an opportunity to do any keyword analysis. Could be an opportunity to go through Google's Adwords training at your companies expense.

The one I launched only has a $15 a day budget. It's an experiment, I'm not doing it to see immediate sales. The service is very new with almost no competition and I'm trying to find out what keywords people respond best to at the moment, and there are many options. Think of it as comparing (for example)cocktail, alcoholic beverage, refreshment, drinks. Whichever get the best response will dictate the keywords I use for SEO and the future of the PPC efforts.

Any resources would be helpful. What do you use to learn more about AdWords?

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one I launched only has a $15 a day budget. It's an experiment, I'm not doing it to see immediate sales. The service is very new with almost no competition and I'm trying to find out what keywords people respond best to at the moment, and there are many options. Think of it as comparing (for example)cocktail, alcoholic beverage, refreshment, drinks. Whichever get the best response will dictate the keywords I use for SEO and the future of the PPC efforts.

Any resources would be helpful. What do you use to learn more about AdWords?

With that low of a budget, I'd be worried about the data you gather not being statistically significant, though you say there isn't much competition on the keywords so the CPC is hopefully pretty low. Your strategy makes sense though.

I don't touch the AdWords account at work, I'm, on the email marketing side of things, but these are always helpful resources:
http://support.google.com/adwords/c...&topic=2799680&path=TopNavTopLevel&ctx=topnav
http://sherpablog.marketingsherpa.com/
http://www.marketingexperiments.com/blog/
http://marketingland.com/

The Rural Juror

Reaction score
Good business people are like that. He'll probably file it away and sit on it until something else comes up. I wouldn't worry about the style of how you described it too much. At worst he'll think you're a little inexperienced or something, but from how you describe it your actions show you as trustworthy.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but this doesn't make a lot of sense. You can have a single AdWords account which is worked on by several different people with their own Google accounts. This will make it easier for you to keep tabs on other people doing work. It will also allow you grant different levels of access. Right now you are giving everyone administrative access (I presume). http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704346?hl=en

The best resources for learning are Google's own help documentation. Read through their documentation and make sure you understand what every metric means: Can you explain the following things: broad match vs modified broad match, impression share, quality score? If you can't, spend more time reading Google's own docs. In your situation, you don't need to get into bidding tactics and things like that.

The most important thing is that you're tracking conversions (either leads or sales) and traffic (which you'll do through Google Analytics). Next, you need to get very familiar with the AdWords keyword tool: https://adwords.google.com/o/KeywordTool . Once you have determined your best keywords, make sure you are getting impressions for those keywords (check your quality score). Then make sure you are maximizing your impressions for those specific keywords (impression share).

If this is basic to you, sorry. The best resources I have found are:

• Google's own help centers (check out the videos by Google's chief economist Hal Varian)
  • The Official Google AdWords blog
  • SearchEngineLand.com
  • Mastering Search Advertising by Richard Stokes is the best book I have read, but it is more helpful as a way of thinking about bidding
  • Brad Geddes is very good, I have seen him speak, but he has a book out now, which I have not read.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the resources guys, I appreciate it.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but this doesn't make a lot of sense. You can have a single AdWords account which is worked on by several different people with their own Google accounts. This will make it easier for you to keep tabs on other people doing work. It will also allow you grant different levels of access. Right now you are giving everyone administrative access (I presume).  http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704346?hl=en

I have this set up now, thanks.

I'm fairly new in this company. As soon as I got in I excited the CEO about marketing and so much work has been dumped on me that I've been stretched thin. I stay late in the office and sometimes come home just to read books about marketing, or get things in order for the next day of work. I want to make a good early impression and I feel that my hands are tied with The Idiot because I don't want to join a company then immediately say "Let me fire this guy!" That's an outdated view now. He slows everything down and I don't bat an eye to calling for him to be fired. It's one thing to slow me in work. I can shake that off with the glory of something good accomplished. That said, there is no bounce-back from the risk of being associated with fetish videos with children.

I've complained of his behavior though, other than the fetish videos. Today I came into work and found him clicking out of some RTS game, scolded him about it. I then thought, even if he gave up the RTS game and fetish videos, he wouldn't be able to do anything useful for me. So I really didn't accomplish anything by scolding him. The CEO asked how he was doing. I told him and then he said he would have him moved away from me and he would not be a part of my department. I can also hire a new marketer. This is good for me, but The Idiot should really be fired.

Someone else made a vague reference to his "YouTube and internet history." I'm confident the CEO and The Girl would not say anything about what I saw on the account recently. It makes me wonder if this was not a previous occurrence. Overall the CEO is a good boss, but he has a bland and unexciting personality. I think The Idiot warms up to him as a "friend" and stimulates him with his child-like excitement, and that's the only thing saving him from not being gone yet. Still, The Idiot is being removed from my fiefdom. I don't have much to complain about anymore.

willny

Reaction score
Tell the CEO. Its better to be straightforward, being straightforward is not being a snitch. You are just covering your ass.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell the CEO. Its better to be straightforward, being straightforward is not being a snitch. You are just covering your ass.
...nothing wrong with being a snitch. "If you see something, say something." People who do wrong deserve to be caught.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads