• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I may have uncovered the cheapest tailor on Earth

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
So a friend of mine came to me for suit making advice, he doesnt have a lot of money, wanted to make a bunch of suits as fast as possible before he goes home.

He said Dung was too pricey ($70 + cloth) but also takes far too long (they quote a month but always run late)

He tried one of the tourist shops, in 3 days they turned around the ugliest suit I've ever seen.

I took him to this store (Mr Phu) that I have always wanted to try but never done. Old guy, had the store 40 yrs, his son, who is also a tailor, speaks a little English, certainly seem like nice people. Theyre on a street called Nguyen Dinh Chieu, which is kind of the epicenter of tailoring for locals. I never tried Phu's shop in the end because I am very happy with my current tailor.

My friend is making an overcoat, we found some ok feeling, heavy-ish PoW check "wool" for 100000 dong per meter - bought 3 meters...300000 dong, so that is about $18.

To the tailors we go...fully canvassed overcoat...550000 dong. $30.

Yup, thirty bucks for tailoring.

So I couldnt help myself

"how much for a suit?"

"650000 dong"

Forty bucks.

Wait and see how the overcoat comes out first....but Im tempted too buy some cheap ass crappy polyester, take in my Dung suit which fits me really really well, and have it copied. If they do well copying with the cheap cloth, then go back there with something decent and crank out a workhorse or ten.

I love this country.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Matt,

a friend of mine, the cheapest person in the world, and the CFO for one of the biggest companies in Israel, traveled to Albania about 10 years ago for vacation. (why Albania for vacation? because it was cheap). He got a custom made suit for less than $100, which he still wears. not great, but not bad, either.

you never know.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These stories of cheap tailors around the world make me jealous. Really hope to get some overseas travel on the calendar in the future to check it out!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
He got a custom made suit for less than $100, which he still wears. not great, but not bad, either.
yeah, i think with Phu and some cheap Chinese wool (around $10-12 per meter), i guess I could get a suit done for $75ish. Amazing...
Originally Posted by edmorel
Matt, You're killing me. I got the Dung logistics worked out and now you throw me this curveball? Let me start checking what airfare to Vietnam is going for these days.......
haha...stick with Dung, I can vouch for him, and Im sure the extra 30 bucks wont kill you...

damonallan

Reaction score
Is it always about the bottom line? There are obviously two different types of shoppers...

Damon

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by damonallan
Is it always about the bottom line?

Of course not! But I, for one, like the idea of having an extraordinarily inexpensive tailor as an option. I may end up using Dung for things that I don't really need, and it would be foolish to spend a lot of money on, like a seersucker suit.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it always about the bottom line? There are obviously two different types of shoppers...

Damon

Yes, there are smart shoppers who look for quality at reasonable prices and then there are those that shop at places that hire image consultants to sell an "image" of their product which is usually hogwash.

Cheapest is not always the bottom line, but there is no shame on my part ordering shoes from Malaysia, shirts from Hong Kong and suits from Vietnam. I do not let marketing campaigns dictate to me what products to buy.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score

Damon

i was just mostly amazed that i found someone half the price of my already-cheap-but-really-good other guy

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i really like Ad Rock's jacket (on the left) in this pic

I may let Phu loose on it...

572038477yn.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is something wrong with the top coat. There is some press on interfacing in there that is causing the lines about 6-8" out from the edge.

Do not let your cheap tailor use a press on interlining. Maybe a little pellon on the facings. If the fabric has enough body then it won't need anything inside.
If the fabric is flimsey then buy some thin canvas to put inside.

I once stood next to Ad -rock at a show in NYC. My date had to tell me who I was chatting with. I guess I was never a beaties fan!
Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads