• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I made a bowtie

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Inspired by some of the talk in WAYWRN about doing your own alterations, I decided to try and make my own bow tie. This is the only bow tie I have ever had, so tying it was harder than making it.

I think it came out pretty well for the first try. What do you think about the proportions? I think the wings need to be a bit longer.

bowtie.jpg

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Beautiful!

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
Nice! How did you make it?

I just drafted a pattern that I thought would work based on my neck measurement, and guessing at the length of the wings, cut the pieces out of a bit Of fabric I had lying around, and sewed it together by hand.

I have some nice black an white plaid wool with a red over check. I would like to make one out of that, but wanted to work out the pattern first.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should make a DIY for your next one. That one seemed to turn out pretty well, and I have some fabric that might look good as a bow tie.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
You should make a DIY for your next one.

+1

Looks good. A bit wider would be nice.

Wiker

Reaction score
Looks great, what was the fabric? Wool?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I approve.

hardline_42

Reaction score
The rule of thumb for bowtie width is outside the eyes, inside the ears. Usually, I try to line it up with the outside corners of my eyes.
An easy way to size a bowtie pattern is to just buy a cheap adjustable, size it to your neck and trace the pattern with an extra 1/4" seam allowance.
Depending on the stiffness of your fabric, you might want to use a piece of interlining and sew it to one side of your bowtie (on the wrong side) with an 1/8" seam allowance and then sew the two halves together. It'll help your bow ends stay crisp instead of wilting and sagging.

Wiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hardline_42
The rule of thumb for bowtie width is outside the eyes, inside the ears. Usually, I try to line it up with the outside corners of my eyes.
An easy way to size a bowtie pattern is to just buy a cheap adjustable, size it to your neck and trace the pattern with an extra 1/4" seam allowance.
Depending on the stiffness of your fabric, you might want to use a piece of interlining and sew it to one side of your bowtie (on the wrong side) with an 1/8" seam allowance and then sew the two halves together. It'll help your bow ends stay crisp instead of wilting and sagging.

Never heard that rule before, it makes sense.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads