• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love ebay

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My philosophy when buying from eBay is, never put too much heart and soul into it and never buy anything I absolutely utterly must have. If I score some cheap and good stuff, good for me, but if I miss out for some reason or other, oh well, I never had it in the first place.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an unfrequent buyer at best, and I am about to engage in some serious selling for the first time (see my sig).

What would you guys advise for a novice seller? What are the things you like and don't like?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
What would you guys advise for a novice seller? What are the things you like and don't like?

Etienne:

I think that it really makes a positive difference to an auction if the seller posts:
- A good, accurate description of item;
- If appropriate, measurements that are as accurate as possible; and
- At least one, and preferably two or three photos that are in focus.

I don't care how good a deal something might seem to be, if it only contains a one-line description with a fuzzy photo, then I'm not bidding on it.

To the Original Poster:

It would be an absolute travesty if the seller decides to have those C&Js dyed black. I seriously hope that she simply re-lists them with the spot (or the removal of it) noted in the auction.

1sinister1

Reaction score
Journeyman, I think we are on the same page. I have email the seller a few times stressing that I would take them as is. I would rather have thim in their original condition and decide for myself if I want to tamper with the color. That being said the last thing I would do would be to turn them black. I might simple polish them to a slightly darker shade of brown.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I don't care how good a deal something might seem to be, if it only contains a one-line description with a fuzzy photo, then I'm not bidding on it.

I live for these fuzzy pic, non-descript auctions. I got a vintage pair of Falkirks for $10 & a vintage pair of Ferragamos for $40 this way.

Keep hope alive. Try ebay.co.uk

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Which I think drives up the price.

Bid starts at $0.99

You decide your max bid is $90

A comes along and bids $1 and is outbid so he tries again and again in small increments until the price is $35 and he's met his limit so he gives up. No one else wants the item so they don't bid on it and you win.

You're still way under your maximum but if you'd waited, you could have gotten the item for 99 cents instead of 35 bucks.

This is simplistic but illustrates my point of what I feel is "unnecessary inflation". However, if your tactics work, and have been working, for you then carry on as usual.
smile.gif

So does anyone else look at what the main competitive bidder is bidding on, check out his bids, then put in an early bid (that takes out his current max, but just barely) that you think he'll beat just so he'll think he beat you, come back and snipe last minute to virtually no competition?

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I think that it really makes a positive difference to an auction if the seller posts:
- A good, accurate description of item;
- If appropriate, measurements that are as accurate as possible; and
- At least one, and preferably two or three photos that are in focus.

Okay, that at least is what I tried doing (although so far my auctions don't seem to attract much interest).

Does it make any difference to you if the seller uses the various options ebay sells (larger placement and so on) ?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wait 'till the last minute stretch & snipe
bigstar[1].gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(sitting back in swivel chair with fingers tented) eeeeexcellent!

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trojanman74
im on the other end of the spectrum and like to go all in in the first or second day with a bid extremely above the asking price so that way i can drive off people who try to bid 5 to 10 dollars only to see their bid outbid right away.

and i didnt get to vent a couple days ago when the seller lost my AE shoes that i got for a steal, and simply said sorry and refunded me the price. i knew it was just to good to be true

I don't think there is anything more frustrating than people who bid on ebay auctions early and unnecessarily. Just bid your max with 5 or less seconds to go. It's the most reasonable approach. Bidding early does not ward off other potential bidders. All it does is invite other unsensible and inexperienced bidders who tend to "panic" in seeing that the desired item is drawing interest. This is exactly how "bidding wars" break out. Besides, waiting until the last possible moment provides the adrenaline rush that is one of ebay's draws. My 2 cents...

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When this happens it means the seller has sold to a buyer outside of eBay.

Here is how you use eBay:

Find an auction
Determine how much you want to pay for it
Go to www.gixen.com and enter your bid
Forget it about it till you get the outbid/won notification in your e-mail

Do not bid manually, do not bid early, do not bid more than once, do not watch an auction, do not bid over what you decided you were willing to pay because "someone is bidding against you," do not bid against a bidder's proxy bid in an attempt to "beat them"

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
So does anyone else look at what the main competitive bidder is bidding on, check out his bids, then put in an early bid (that takes out his current max, but just barely) that you think he'll beat just so he'll think he beat you, come back and snipe last minute to virtually no competition?

No, just you. You're wasting your time. He's likely using software and you should be as well.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Here is how you use eBay:

Find an auction
Determine how much you want to pay for it
Go to www.gixen.com and enter your bid
Forget it about it till you get the outbid/won notification in your e-mail

Do not bid manually, do not bid early, do not bid more than once, do not watch an auction, do not bid over what you decided you were willing to pay because "someone is bidding against you," do not bid against a bidder's proxy bid in an attempt to "beat them"

Sounds just about perfect although sometimes I like the rush of bidding in person. I still follow the rules though; the most important of which, in my opinion, is to decide early how much I'm willing to spend (including shipping) and sticking to it no matter what.

JordanH.

Reaction score
i hate ebay. the other day, with 4 seconds on the clock, i was outbid for a pair of some shoes in a light brown color. they were absolutely beautiful. Allen Edmonds is their maker. i still haven't deleted the listing- that's how hard i'm holding on to this thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads