• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I know it's been asked before, but need advice on suit jacket lenght after receiving new MTM suit

rohmen

Reaction score
I have a question regarding appropriate suit jacket length.

I just received a new MTM suit. I was professionally measured, but have not had a follow up session yet with the tailor. I have consistently always worn a 38R to 40R depending on brand and how trim I want the fit to be. Accordingly, the back length on all of my jackets is between 30 to 31 inches at the longest. I also confirmed a 30 1/2 length is the appropriate measure for my height (I'm 6 foot and the distance from the collar on my jacket to the floor is 61 inches, so a 30 1/2 inch length would place the jacket half the distance from my collar to the floor).

To my surprise, the suit jacket I received has a back length of 32 1/2 inches. In other words, the jacket extends a good 2 inches below the end of my butt. I'm disappointed to say the least, and I'm trying to figure out if this is just a complete mistake on the tailor's part, or whether a longer cut like this is something some tailors prefer. We discussed what I wanted out of the suit and how I would use it (for work, so trim/fitted but appropriate in cut), but we never discussed back length because frankly I always understood it to be a given that the jacket should cover your butt and no more. I would never buy a suit off the rack that fit this long in the jacket.

I'm willing to push the tailor to make things right, but want to make sure this was truly a complete mistake before making my points. I've checked out other threads, and covering the butt but no more seems like the accepted industry standard.

Luckily, I think the pocket height from the hem will allow at least an inch to an inch and a half of shortening.​

Last edited:

JeffTR

Reaction score
I have a question regarding appropriate suit jacket length.

I just received a new MTM suit. I was professionally measured, but have not had a follow up session yet with the tailor. I have consistently always worn a 38R to 40R depending on brand and how trim I want the fit to be. Accordingly, the back length on all of my jackets is between 30 to 31 inches at the longest. I also confirmed a 30 1/2 length is the appropriate measure for my height (I'm 6 foot and the distance from the collar on my jacket to the floor is 61 inches, so a 30 1/2 inch length would place the jacket half the distance from my collar to the floor).

To my surprise, the suit jacket I received has a back length of 32 1/2 inches. In other words, the jacket extends a good 2 inches below the end of my butt. I'm disappointed to say the least, and I'm trying to figure out if this is just a complete mistake on the tailor's part, or whether a longer cut like this is something some tailors prefer. We discussed what I wanted out of the suit and how I would use it (for work, so trim/fitted but appropriate in cut), but we never discussed back length because frankly I always understood it to be a given that the jacket should cover your butt and no more. I would never buy a suit off the rack that fit this long in the jacket.

I'm willing to push the tailor to make things right, but want to make sure this was truly a complete mistake before making my points. I've checked out other threads, and covering the butt but no more seems like the accepted industry standard.

Luckily, I think the pocket height from the hem will allow at least an inch to an inch and a half of shortening.​

You're well within your bounds to request the altering of the suit. If you post a picture of the suit from the Front, Side, and Back, I can give you a more informed opinion about how easily it could be altered and how it looks!

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're well within your bounds to request the altering of the suit.  If you post a picture of the suit from the Front, Side, and Back, I can give you a more informed opinion about how easily it could be altered and how it looks!  

Well within his bounds to request it, but 2 inches is quite a bit and altering it might affect the overall look of the jacket as i assume the pockets have already been cut in?

rohmen

Reaction score
Pockets are already cut, which obviously worries me. Measuring from the top of the pockets to the current hem, I come up with 12 inches. My other suit jackets measure around 10 inches from top of pocket to hem, so I'm hopeful some wiggle room is there to shorten the length without writing the whole jacket off. Button stance after shortening is the one varriable that still worries me, though.

rohmen

Reaction score
I will defeinitely post pics, but I'm at work. I also just joined SF officially (long time lurker, first time caller), so my posts have to be approved by a moderator before showing up. I'll get pics up of the jacket as soon as I can.

rohmen

Reaction score
I wrote a previous reply that had to be apporved by a moderator due to my new member status, but appears to have disappeared. I apologize if this ends up as a dbl post.

The pockets have already been cut. The top of the pocket to the hem line of the jacket measures 12 inches. My other jackets all hover around 10 inches or so using same measurement technique, giving me up that an adjustment can be made without having to write the whole jacket off. The button stance could still be an issue, so we will see what happens. I'll post pics of me wearing the jacket tonight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads